Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Phill the Thrill wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:26 pm
nyker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:24 pm Starting at I-70 isn't the end of the world, all three times we were we started from the lower lot and it goes by fairly quickly. Helps acclimatize for the day and builds character! :mrgreen:
Another solution: Climb Grays/Torreys via Grays South Ridge.
Silly, there's no other way. The standard route is the only route.

Or you could hike something else which is just equally crazy. But hey, if you need that 40th summit of Grays and Torreys I guess do your thing.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I can't believe people still climb 14'ers.

:mrgreen:
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm I can't believe people still climb 14'ers.

People are idiots
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

nyker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:24 pm Starting at I-70 isn't the end of the world, all three times we were we started from the lower lot and it goes by fairly quickly. Helps acclimatize for the day and builds character! :mrgreen:
^This. I’ve been up 6 or 7 times and only ever parked at I-70. It’s a nice road walk.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:49 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm I can't believe people still climb 14'ers.

People are idiots
You make a valid point.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

I’ve trained in this area over a handful of times this year. Even the lower I-70 lot fills up during calendar Winter. I have a feeling there’s a much bigger problem on hand versus the “easy” alternative.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

speth wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:03 am STEVENS GULCH ROAD VISITOR MANAGEMENT ANALYSIS

People have played fast and loose for years with parking along the road, blocking cars and hundreds of other people at times because it was inconvenient to walk a few extra miles in search of the perfect social media photo.

Just like other places in the state - Maroon Bells, Mt Evans, Indian Peaks Wilderness, Rocky Mountain National Park, Hanging Lake, Ice Lake - crowds have used and abused the areas, the response is to crack down, and make these places "pay to play". I think it's too bad, but it's kind of a sign of the times.

I'd personally be in favor of closing off the road entirely above the parking lot at I-70 and encourage people to hike the way up similar to South Colony Lakes has limited access to that area (without eliminating it altogether). But at the same time, I feel like Grays and Torreys, and Bierstadt especially, can be served up as sacrificial lambs to the masses coming out of the front range, if that means that more pristine areas farther away are kept open and better preserved for more responsible use.
Can't forget about Conundrum Hot Springs as well. That place was brutalized
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

speth wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:03 am
I'd personally be in favor of closing off the road entirely above the parking lot at I-70 and encourage people to hike the way up similar to South Colony Lakes has limited access to that area (without eliminating it altogether). But at the same time, I feel like Grays and Torreys, and Bierstadt especially, can be served up as sacrificial lambs to the masses coming out of the front range, if that means that more pristine areas farther away are kept open and better preserved for more responsible use.
It's occurred to me more than once that closing the road entirely would solve a lot of problems and make for a more meaningful backcountry experience. Like a lot of trailhead access roads in this state, the Stevens Gulch road was never intended to handle the amount of traffic that exists on it today, and the backcountry that it accesses is getting pretty beat up, too. Gate the road where it starts uphill, give the private residence owners keys, and let everyone else walk. I'm not sure if guests at the airbnb should have to walk or if other arrangements could be make for them. Like a number of people on this thread, I've walked that road more than once, and found the experience far more satisfying than dealing with road conditions and fighting for a parking spot before I started my hike.
mark
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

The first time we went on the road, there was a crossover flipped on its side in the ditch causing all sorts of issues at 5am, that's when we opted to just walk and it really wasn't bad and frankly served as a good warmup before getting into windier terrain higher up and stopped at the TH proper and had a quick breakfast bar/drink. Second time it was iced over so there was no way our rental was making it up much anyway and the third time we were just accustomed to walking it so went up and was good training for longer outings.
RETEP 1
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I like going there in the evenings after work and parking at the 4wd trailhead for a quick little trip. It’s never busy after 4pm…ish on a weekday. Can we agree on closing it on the weekends or before 2pm or something? 😜
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

lol I mean I encourage everyone to ride a bike up it. Just like in the city - I didn't like dealing with parking and traffic (and guess what I was adding to the parking and traffic problems driving my car), so I just rode a bike everywhere. Changed my frickin' life!
Attachments
stevens_gulch_road.jpg
stevens_gulch_road.jpg (119.68 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

justiner wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:33 pm lol I mean I encourage everyone to ride a bike up it. Just like in the city - I didn't like dealing with parking and traffic (and guess what I was adding to the parking and traffic problems driving my car), so I just rode a bike everywhere. Changed my frickin' life!
Bikes? That's your answer to everything isn't it? Climate change, traffic, restricted motor vehicle access, lack of exercise etc. etc.