Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Post by Carl »

I was parked roughly 1.7 miles from the bottom in May, with USFS land adjacent, didn't see any other vehicles or people that day, not blocking the road by any stretch of the imagination, and was pretty surprised to see the ticket when I got back (around $90). Based on the signage present at the time directing motorist to stay on the road and not block it, seems like an entrapment argument was warranted. Disappointing the Sheriff is ticketing everyone, instead of just those that block the road. My friends split the ticket with me so I decided it wasn't worth going to Georgetown to sit in the queue for a couple hours on my court date to actually schedule a date for a hearing. I left a message with the sergeants desk at the Clear Creek Sheriff a couple weeks ago and was pleased they did take the time to call me back. The gentlemen I spoke with confirmed that they will be ticketing anyone with a tire on the road surface between the bottom lot and the main trailhead 3 miles up. He recognized they do not have authority to write tickets for people parked on USFS land adjacent the road; it's unfortunate we're being forced to park on the tundra to avoid tickets. I asked about Grizzly Gulch and he said that they could write tickets for anyone parked on that road as well since it's a County road, though in practice that's less of an issue. We spoke about the lot at the bottom of the road along I70 since I noted that this lot is private property. For what it's worth, he said the owner doesn't care if folks continue to park there.

Again, I'm 100% on board with ticketing people who park in an area where there isn't enough room left for 2 way traffic. SAR needs access and that doesn't mean just a single lane. I would love to see an attempt to accomplish this with signage; for example, no parking signs in certain areas or a sign at the bottom that indicates that parking is only allowed where expressly signed. At least give it a shot before shutting down parking along the entire stretch and forcing folks to park in the vegetation or walk from the bottom. If CFI or another group is able to open a dialogue with the Sheriff I'd be happy to volunteer to help work on solutions. I reached out to the USFS but they said it's a Sheriff issue.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

John Landers wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:03 pm As this appears to be a money grab by Clear Creek county, one option is to not spend any money in the county at restaurants, gas stations, etc.
I guess I'll be extending my economic boycott that started when they closed all roads to outsiders last year. There are plenty of better breweries, restaurants and gas stations in neighboring counties.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Carl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:49 am I was parked roughly 1.7 miles from the bottom in May, with USFS land adjacent, didn't see any other vehicles or people that day, not blocking the road by any stretch of the imagination, and was pretty surprised to see the ticket when I got back (around $90). Based on the signage present at the time directing motorist to stay on the road and not block it, seems like an entrapment argument was warranted. Disappointing the Sheriff is ticketing everyone, instead of just those that block the road. My friends split the ticket with me so I decided it wasn't worth going to Georgetown to sit in the queue for a couple hours on my court date to actually schedule a date for a hearing. I left a message with the sergeants desk at the Clear Creek Sheriff a couple weeks ago and was pleased they did take the time to call me back. The gentlemen I spoke with confirmed that they will be ticketing anyone with a tire on the road surface between the bottom lot and the main trailhead 3 miles up. He recognized they do not have authority to write tickets for people parked on USFS land adjacent the road; it's unfortunate we're being forced to park on the tundra to avoid tickets. I asked about Grizzly Gulch and he said that they could write tickets for anyone parked on that road as well since it's a County road, though in practice that's less of an issue. We spoke about the lot at the bottom of the road along I70 since I noted that this lot is private property. For what it's worth, he said the owner doesn't care if folks continue to park there.

Again, I'm 100% on board with ticketing people who park in an area where there isn't enough room left for 2 way traffic. SAR needs access and that doesn't mean just a single lane. I would love to see an attempt to accomplish this with signage; for example, no parking signs in certain areas or a sign at the bottom that indicates that parking is only allowed where expressly signed. At least give it a shot before shutting down parking along the entire stretch and forcing folks to park in the vegetation or walk from the bottom. If CFI or another group is able to open a dialogue with the Sheriff I'd be happy to volunteer to help work on solutions. I reached out to the USFS but they said it's a Sheriff issue.
Ticketing everyone up Grizzly Gulch would suck and significantly make the North side of Torreys less appealing to ski.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

montanahiker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am I guess I'll be extending my economic boycott that started when they closed all roads to outsiders last year. There are plenty of better breweries, restaurants and gas stations in neighboring counties.
I avoid anything close to Denver, too many people. Lucky both of those peaks are lame. The mass ticket is a great reason to never visit that area and keep my money away from that county. It won’t hurt them one bit, there will be thousands of people from the front range hiking it every day the weather is good. They could ticket one of those people and the trailhead would still be full.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

montanahiker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am
John Landers wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:03 pm As this appears to be a money grab by Clear Creek county, one option is to not spend any money in the county at restaurants, gas stations, etc.
I guess I'll be extending my economic boycott that started when they closed all roads to outsiders last year. There are plenty of better breweries, restaurants and gas stations in neighboring counties.
Yes, blame Tommyknocker because the CCC gov't officials suck.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

12ersRule wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:17 pm
montanahiker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am
Yes, blame Tommyknocker because the CCC gov't officials suck.
I blame Tommyknocker for mediocre beers. I haven't been back since Westbound and Down opened.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Matt wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:28 pm I blame Tommyknocker for mediocre beers. I haven't been back since Westbound and Down opened.
I need to stop there sometime. I'm in way too much of a hurry going home nowadays.

We need to bring that best mountain town breweries thread back.
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

I see you Tomer!
Tomer.jpg
Tomer.jpg (158.84 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Those of us with 2WD, low clearance vehicles who park at I-70 anyway:
Attachments
roadwalkersunite.jpg
roadwalkersunite.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Starting at I-70 isn't the end of the world, all three times we were we started from the lower lot and it goes by fairly quickly. Helps acclimatize for the day and builds character! :mrgreen:
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

That's a viable solution if a lot of people would get on board with it. Something similar has worked with other towns.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

nyker wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:24 pm Starting at I-70 isn't the end of the world, all three times we were we started from the lower lot and it goes by fairly quickly. Helps acclimatize for the day and builds character! :mrgreen:
Another solution: Climb Grays/Torreys via Grays South Ridge.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney