Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eburris
Trip Reports (0)

Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Post by Eburris »

Clear Creek county has closed the road up to Grays and Torrey to parking You must park at the trailhead (limited parking available) or at the bottom at Bakerville. This is being strictly enforced and tickets are about $200. This is being done to provide fire and EMS access. Please pass this on to friends to avoid getting a ticket.
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

I’m glad they are doing this! Some of that parking is BAD
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:36 pm I’m glad they are doing this! Some of that parking is BAD
One of my most distinct memories from my early childhood is my dad almost backing his minivan off the road on the section where it would have rolled for a ways trying to get out of our awful parking spot…
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

clear creek county made a good buck today, 1600-2000 if they’re 200 each
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

They should permanently close that road that’d keep the Jongs away
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

First time I did Grays and Torreys via Standard was a Saturday in August and people were parking on the road for literally miles.

If they're now going to ticket all those cars I'd have to wonder if they even have enough paper to print enough tickets, particularly on a weekend like this.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I will be emailing the Sheriff and county to discuss.

Hikers come from all over to hike G/T and they get there at 5 in the morning to find parking issues. Are they supposed to just leave? There has to be a better option.

This isn't 100% about safety and keeping the road clear, the county appears to be using it as a money grab.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:12 pm I will be emailing the Sheriff and county to discuss.

Hikers come from all over to hike G/T and they get there at 5 in the morning to find parking issues. Are they supposed to just leave? There has to be a better option.

This isn't 100% about safety and keeping the road clear, the county appears to be using it as a money grab.
Yeah that "Saturday in August" I mentioned the trailhead parking lot was already full even when I arrived at 4:00 AM.
I managed to grab a questionable spot on the road right at the trailhead and made sure there was plenty of clearance to get by even for bulkier SAR related vehicles, unlike many other cars I had to squeeze past on the road on the way out around 9:30 AM
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Instead of giving tickets, they should consider issuing permits.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:12 pm IAre they supposed to just leave? There has to be a better option.
Perhaps they could go to another trailhead if the parking was full since there are many alternate routes?

According to people on FB, they did indeed give a lot of tickets today and yesterday.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
James2015
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by James2015 »

Thanks Bill -- this was always such a good option for a quick lap from Denver, but even an early start doesn't guarantee a parking spot these days. I loved running up on a weekday morning to do a quick Kelso run. Crazy... They've long posted they'd ticket for blocking the road, and they should, but there's lot of places to park that leave plenty of room. I saw them ticket cars that were completely off the road -- ridiculous. Gives lie to the claim that they're doing it for EMS. Makes me so angry with them...
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Apparently it has been illegal to park on Clear Creek County Roads since at least 2005.

https://www.clearcreekcounty.us/Documen ... ode?bidId=

Here's the latest:

https://www.clearcreekcounty.us/Documen ... ays?bidId=

That said though, they could only regulate it if someone was parked on the County Right of Way and would have to be careful giving tickets. If a vehicle was found to be outside the Right of Way and they ticketed it anyway, they could get in trouble.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.