Lead King Basin - Legal Parking near Crystal

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
NatDog
14ers: 58 
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

Lead King Basin - Legal Parking near Crystal

Post by NatDog »

I'm planning to attempt the Snowmass S-Ridge in a few weeks and I'm trying to plan where there is legal parking along the way. I drive a stock Tundra with minimal 4WD experience - the Castle Creek road to ~10,900' and Baldwin Gulch road to ~10,600' are about the roughest roads I've driven. I usually prefer to hike a few extra miles rather than beating up my vehicle.

From what I've read it sounds like I should avoid the FS 315 road and go through Crystal instead. I've read TH reports from last summer stating that there is parking near Crystal which is only about 2 miles from the Lead King Basin TH and should be easily reachable with stock SUVs/pickups. However there was conflicting info on where to park and whether it is legal.

If anyone has any specific info on legal parking near Crystal or any other recommendations, it would be much appreciated.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lead King Basin - Legal Parking near Crystal

Post by angry »

Yes, there is legal parking past the town of Crystal below the sign that says Lead King Basin 1 mile. It's about ~1.7 miles from the trailhead. Doable in a Subaru.
NatDog
Trip Reports (2)

Post by NatDog »

angry wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am Yes, there is legal parking past the town of Crystal below the sign that says Lead King Basin 1 mile. It's about ~1.7 miles from the trailhead. Doable in a Subaru.
Right, your report is one I referenced in my post. But I am looking for specific info - is that sign above or below the two switchbacks after Crystal? How much room is there to park? Thanks.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

There is room for several cars to park and set up a tent. I think my hiking partner might have a pin to the location, message yaktoleft13.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

In this trip report, the spot where the track begins (other than the straight line back to Denver lol) is the parking area. It's just after the second switchback after crystal. There's room for 8ish cars if everyone plays nice
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

In this trip report, the spot where the track begins (other than the straight line back to Denver lol) is the parking area. It's just after the second switchback after crystal. There's room for 8ish cars if everyone plays nice
Here's a fixed track if you want to upload it to your TR. Also this one doesn't show exactly where you live in Denver... :lol:
Attachments
export.gpx
(174.67 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
NatDog
Trip Reports (2)

Post by NatDog »

supranihilest wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm
yaktoleft13 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

Here's a fixed track if you want to upload it to your TR. Also this one doesn't show exactly where you live in Denver... :lol:
Thanks! I was actually reading though your report when you posted and had figured that was the parking spot.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

supranihilest wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm

*Used to live, thank God! And thank you for that! I swapped in the fixed track into the report. You the man!
strayster2
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strayster2 »

If you're looking for a climbing partner, I've been eyeing this route for this summer.

We could team up to save parking space at the turn-off :-D
Ssgustafson
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ssgustafson »

I'm thinking about Snowmass this Sunday via Lead King Basin. Will probably drive-up in the early morning.
Scott Gustafson

"Don't attribute to adventurism what can be otherwise explained by poor route finding"
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Ssgustafson wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:14 am I'm thinking about Snowmass this Sunday via Lead King Basin. Will probably drive-up in the early morning.
Any recent conditions reports for back there? That route is a serious pain in the ass to get to if there is still a lot of snow back there. Tried to tough it out last year early and didn't even make it to the base of the route.
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
Ssgustafson
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ssgustafson »

I was wondering about that, too... Does anyone have intel on the road conditions ?
Scott Gustafson

"Don't attribute to adventurism what can be otherwise explained by poor route finding"