Pikes Peak Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dlloydjoneskc
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Pikes Peak Camping

Post by dlloydjoneskc »

I want to hike Pikes this summer (Northwest slopes). Will be driving in late afternoon and don't want to camp at Crags. Planning on hiking in a mile or two on the trail and looking for a place to camp. For anyone that has done this trail are there places to hike a mile or two in??
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Pikes Peak Camping

Post by justiner »

There's a campsite at the TH:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232367

There's a decent spot on the Horsethief route about a 1.25 miles in, where the Ring the Peak Trail hits the Oil Creek trail. I think Horsethief is a great route - a little longer that NW Slopes, but it's quieter and the terrain is more interesting.
oliver303
14ers: 52 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oliver303 »

I just slept in my car at the trailhead last summer so don't know of any specific spots for you. That said if you don't any responses from someone that knows of a backpacking camp site it may help to know that the NW slopes trail is consistently uphill from miles 0.5 to 2.5 and then is pretty steep from miles 2.5 to 3.5. After 3.5 miles there is a flat section above treeline at 12,500ft. There is an elevation profile and topo map on this site on the route description page.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

If you want an established campground, Mueller State Park is near the turnoff to the Craigs trailhead. They charge $28 tent camping + $9 entrance this year. They require advance reservations, but can be done on same day if available.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Yes there is some flat terrain to put a tent, but only one spot to grab water along the trail that far in, but it's really not that far in, maybe 45 minutes.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

peter303 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 am If you want an established campground, Mueller State Park is near the turnoff to the Craigs trailhead. They charge $28 tent camping + $9 entrance this year. They require advance reservations, but can be done on same day if available.

I am going to second this recommendation. Mueller is a great campground, there's miles of eat trails, has very nice shower and restroom facilities at the guest services building. Great views from the guest services building too. Well worth he nominal fees considering the turnoff to Crags is almost right across the highway and is a 15-20 minute drive to the TH.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.