Columbia Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
purdye86
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Columbia Camping

Post by purdye86 »

I am wondering how far up the Mt Columbia trail the best campsites are? I've seen a few videos online that seem to place them shortly before treeline. I'm looking to head up in early July and would like to camp somewhere in the basin before heading up early morning for a hopefully sunrise. Thank you in advance!
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 346 51 4
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Columbia Camping

Post by VeraUndertow »

I found great camping just past the trail split for the start of Mt Columbia trail. There were at least 5-6 pre established sites within a quarter mile from the Columbia trail split heading farther up towards Harvard on Horn Fork Basin trail and im sure there are others in the area. I haven't had trouble finding camping when I have camped in that basin yet
wushock316
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wushock316 »

☝️if I was going back, this is where I would camp....at the cutoff
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

there are so many sites in horn fork basin. we went on a weekend in early july and had no problem finding a spot
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

stephakett wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:49 am there are so many sites in horn fork basin. we went on a weekend in early july and had no problem finding a spot
I've only camped in Horn Fork once but this was my experience. Camp sites all over the place in the trees and the basin isn't full of rocks, slabs, sloping ground, etc. I doubt you'll have trouble finding a spot even on a busy weekend.
purdye86
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by purdye86 »

Thank you all! I appreciate your responses. Happy hiking!