Leavick parking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Leavick parking

Post by CoHi591 »

Hey all,
I was up near the Leavick site the other day, wound up not climbing anything but was thinking about you going back for Horseshoe and maybe another few peaks. Just wondering if anyone has had any parking issues with the owners of the land around there? I noticed the one big area to park right after the mine had a big sign that said "no camping OR overnight parking" - I am usually a trailhead sleeper in my car and I like to leave in the middle of the night to be on or near the summit for sunrise. Wasn't sure if this would be okay or not. There's also that little spot for 2-3 vehicles directly across from the Leavick site, I assume that parking is chill there even though there are a billion "private property" signs around the building yeah? I know these things can change so hoping for updated validation that no one's gonna get pissed and try to tow my car if I leave it at 3 am and spend a few hours up there.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Leavick parking

Post by Jon Frohlich »

We were just up there last weekend and there's some large trees blocking the road at the road junction where you would head up Horseshoe. Everyone was parking just below that. A few people parked in a way that I'm sure would irritate the landowners there if they were around. There's plenty of space to park on the side of the road however.

I'm not sure of the reason for the road being blocked below the gate. It's been years since I'd been up there so this was new. There's a house at the Leavick site as well so I'm not sure how that landowner feels about people parking there.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i have parked overnight at leavick twice, and off the road that goes to horseshoe once without issue. this was years ago, though, and none of these circumstances involved signage that suggested what i was doing was illegal/disallowed.

on a similar note, i have also parked at a "no overnight camping" TH in an area i do not wish to disclose (i will say it was not this one). on that occasion, SOMEONE came by and flipped on the red and blue flashies, as well as flicked brights at my vehicle several times. i did not move or make any noise and they left without ticketing me. i arrived around 9pm, and this happened around 11/1130pm.

i can totally understand discouraging people from using an area as a full out campsite when there are paid sites nearby, parking in a manner which disrupts traffic or emegency vehicle access, or from parking on someone's private land, but i have still not heard a compelling argument against sleeping in a vehicle at a public trailhead in a parking lot- not bothering anyone, not making a peep, no fires, no tents, not even so much as a camp chair.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Agreed, there's ultimately no difference between me rolling up at 9, sleeping in my car til 3 and then heading off vs rolling in at 3 and leaving right away. I did see those trees (obviously intentionally) blocking the road up past that junction. Made me wonder if there are new land owners up there or if some other factors have changed the parking situation/attitude.

There was very unclear signage on a bad road on the way to another TH that I went to last year. Private property signs in the general area (on either side of the county road) but zero signage at the pullout where we left our car. Came back to a very angry man on an ATV saying that we were THIS CLOSE to getting towed, which of course would be a disaster even if it was likely an empty threat. I'm hyper paranoid after that though.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.