Wheeler Geologic Area Vehicle, Thoughts

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Wheeler Geologic Area Vehicle, Thoughts

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thinking about driving along FS 600 to the Wheeler Geologic area in our Toyota RAV4. Looked online elsewhere, but conflicting thoughts about vehicle type and accessibility. A) Is this a dumb idea, or fairly feasible? B) Is the Wheeler Geologic area all it’s made out to be? Would you recommend it?
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Wheeler Geologic Area Vehicle, Thoughts

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

From the info I've seen I'd think you'd want a bit more clearance. I'm looking to do this later this summer (or next), camp, & get Phoenix & La Garita via a 20ish mile day. I drive a 4Runner & still have my uncertainties about that road. Seems you wouldn't want to drive it after any decent rain.
A couple links that you might have already seen (I'd seen a different video, but can't find that one currently):
https://traildamage.com/trails/wheeler_geologic_area/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GLXoQnpsfg
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
Old Goat
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Old Goat »

I tried that road in 2019 with a rented Jeep. It was taking so long to get up that road, we turned around. We didn't want to return to the rental spot four hours late or with a destroyed vehicle. The safe speed for not tearing apart a Rav-4 would be about 3-4 miles per hour, and you will bottom out a few times. There were some jacked-up jeeps and pickup trucks and ATVs that were able to go considerably faster than we could. When we go back to give it a other try, we will rent a side-by-side UTV. The first motel on the way into Creede had a couple for rent. Tow it to where the blacktop ends, and head in. I like geology, and the photos of Wheeler look very unique. For me the trip in will be well worth it.
skypilot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skypilot »

The Wheeler Geologic Area is definitely worth seeing, but I wouldn't take my Subaru Forrester there (I believe the Forrester has as much or more clearance as a RAV4). The guidebook I used (Hiking Colorado's Geology) suggested that the drive might require nearly the same amount of time as hiking, so I elected to walk. Also, I recommend making it an overnight backpack -- it's a cool place to see at sunrise.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thanks for the feedback!
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Been a while (a long while) since I've been there but as I recall, you can hike that road (or at least the trail that sorta follows it) about as fast as you can drive it. I think I heard that the only reason it's not a national monument is that the access doesn't measure up to what it needs to be. Big understatement, I think...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Jay521 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 pm I think I heard that the only reason it's not a national monument is that the access doesn't measure up to what it needs to be. Big understatement, I think...
It was the first National Monument in Colorado when it was designated in 1908 and the second most popular tourist attraction in the state.
Gaining monument status in 1908 made it the second most popular tourist attraction in Colorado. During the horse and buggy era, travelers flocked to see the eerie landscape and experience the rugged LaGarita Mountains. But by 1950, when tourists began to prefer attractions easily accessible by automobiles, the trails fell into disuse. Wheeler was downgraded to a Geologic Area and incorporated into the LaGarita Wilderness.
https://www.creede.com/recreation-activ ... c-monument
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Jay521 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 pm Been a while (a long while) since I've been there but as I recall, you can hike that road (or at least the trail that sorta follows it) about as fast as you can drive it.
The road is about 14 miles long and the hiking trail is about 7 miles. I drove it in an hour and a half a few years ago in a Jeep.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I stand corrected! Although I don't recall seeing any National Monument signs when I was there... Also - I'm pretty sure that you (IntrepidXJ) are as skilled a Jeep driver as you are a photographer given some of the pictures of where you've gotten your Jeep. You are certainly a better photog than I am and now I am thinking you are a better 4X4 driver than I am.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
434stonemill
14ers: 33 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 434stonemill »

Jay521 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:24 pm I stand corrected! Although I don't recall seeing any National Monument signs when I was there...
Further in the article IntrepidXJ linked to, it states: "Wheeler was downgraded to a Geologic Area and incorporated into the LaGarita Wilderness. " So you are correct in it is not a national monument. What is interesting is that when they designated the LaGarita Wilderness area, they carved out the road to Wheeler in order for there to be vehicle access to the Geologic area.

I hiked to Wheeler last summer and really enjoyed it. What struck me during the hike was the enormous amount of dead pine due to beetle kill in the LaGarita Wilderness. That forest will be dramatically different in a decade.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

434stonemill wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:59 pm What is interesting is that when they designated the LaGarita Wilderness area, they carved out the road to Wheeler in order for there to be vehicle access to the Geologic area.
Gerrymandering wilderness areas is the most American thing ever.

I say that as someone who loves 'em a good 4x4 trail.
Make wilderness less accessible.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

People should pray that Ol' El Garita doesn't awaken from its slumber and deliver mountains of ash to the Western frontier.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™