Durango-Silverton Train

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Durango-Silverton Train

Post by fahixson »

bdwyer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 pm
Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:38 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm When the train is running again, if you’re looking to save some money, ask them about the Backpacker Special. Basically, you take the PM train from Silverton for a reduced fare and free parking.
Man, that's awesome if it's true. We're heading in there in August. Doing a Ruby Basin-Chicago loop. I read that they're only running trips FROM Durango this year. And limited at that. Think I'll need to call to confirm.
There is no drop off from Silverton. You must board in Durango this year. Disappointing. Also, last call I had with train (and each person you get has different info sometimes) they say the Forest Service is limiting any specific day to 15 groups of backpackers. Unclear how many in a group. I asked if I was ONE person was I a group and they answered yes. Dah. Was also told that if I diverted from the reservation days, I would only be picked up if there was room on the train.
They told me 9 groups/day and no more than 15 people/group. Yes, 1 person could be a "group." They also told me that if you have a reservation, you can call back and add/subtract people to/from your group so long as you don't exceed the group max.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

fahixson wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:53 am
bdwyer wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:50 pm
Kiefer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:38 am
Man, that's awesome if it's true. We're heading in there in August. Doing a Ruby Basin-Chicago loop. I read that they're only running trips FROM Durango this year. And limited at that. Think I'll need to call to confirm.
There is no drop off from Silverton. You must board in Durango this year. Disappointing. Also, last call I had with train (and each person you get has different info sometimes) they say the Forest Service is limiting any specific day to 15 groups of backpackers. Unclear how many in a group. I asked if I was ONE person was I a group and they answered yes. Dah. Was also told that if I diverted from the reservation days, I would only be picked up if there was room on the train.
They told me 9 groups/day and no more than 15 people/group. Yes, 1 person could be a "group." They also told me that if you have a reservation, you can call back and add/subtract people to/from your group so long as you don't exceed the group max.
This is correct you can add people to your group as we have done a couple times now.
FIDKAT
14ers: 43 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FIDKAT »

Wondering if anyone has a reservation on the train for August 20? We're trying to be added to a group, since the reservations are full but we're told if we can find an existing group, it's no probably to link our reservations to there's.

On the flip side - we currently have a reservation for July 30 - Aug 1, if anyone is need of those dates or wants to swap.