Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Post by timf »

How many miles do you suppose I can get up that road in a 2007 Wrangler with a 3.5” lift and 35” tires? Thoughts? Thinking about mid June
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Yet another Como Lake Road Thread

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

10,200 feet should be doable. Walk the rest. It's a nice hike!
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

If you're good at crawling and don't mind bumping your rig up, you can make it to the lake on that setup. Although if you pass the standard well known parking spots, you're pretty committed from there on out. I was walking down the road last summer and saw an early 2000s jeep wrangler with a modest lift and tire upgrade almost to the lake (less than a mile to go), and it was piloted by two clearly drunk men in their 30s having a grand old time...but when they passed me it wreaked heavily of a gasoline leak...maybe that was the liquor. Either way, I got confirmation from my buddies that stayed another night that they made it to the lake. No idea if they leaked all their gas and got stuck up there, though
I thought, I taught, I wrought
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

You will be able to easily get to the parking area that is at 10.3K (~4 miles in)... Download the "Hiking Project" app... this parking area is marked on that map. IMO only rock crawlers should go past that point.

Edit: past this point walking becomes faster too...especially on the descent. Last year walked past several crawlers on the way down.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

Been_Jammin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:14 pm Edit: past this point walking becomes faster too...especially on the descent. Last year walked past several crawlers on the way down.
Walking? Where's the fun in that?
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Easily to Jaws I.
Past that point, as someone as said on this forum before, diminishing returns.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

Stratosfearsome wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:53 pm
Been_Jammin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:14 pm Edit: past this point walking becomes faster too...especially on the descent. Last year walked past several crawlers on the way down.
Walking? Where's the fun in that?
Yeah, you're supposed to hike the road, not walk it!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

timf wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm How many miles do you suppose I can get up that road in a 2007 Wrangler with a 3.5” lift and 35” tires? Thoughts? Thinking about mid June
I drove up to Jaws 1 several times in my Wrangler before I lifted it so I know you could easily do that much. I’ve also been with someone who drove a modestly lifted Wrangler to the lake so I’m guessing you COULD do it as long as you have lockers and a winch. We were with another party as there is safety in numbers and there was a fair bit of getting out and guiding the driver involved. This was also a very experienced driver. That road is no joke. Not knowing your skill level, it’s going to be hard for someone who doesn’t know you to say for sure.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Maximillion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Maximillion »

Whether you can is better answered by others. Whether you want to is another thing. You'll be bone jarring it all the way up (if you make it). If you get off on a very rough 4WD adventure than maybe it's for you. I'd be rattled to death though. If you're just trying to save a few miles of walking, well, you should probably walk.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

There’s a decent parking area at a switchback at about 10k.

As others have said, you can go higher. But peeps have died on that road, and many vehicles have left parts and fluid behind as a testament to the endeavor.

Park at a reasonable place and walk some. Climbing is about walking uphill isn’t it?

I like that basin and can’t understand all the badmouthing it gets.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

In all honesty, unless you're very skilled at driving off road, don't mind some body damage and that part of the outing is that much fun for for you, it would be easier to just walk it. I've been up and down that road 5-6 times and each time there were people attempting to push their 4x4 as high as they could to save a few hundred feet of walking, going slower than I was hiking up in most cases, and risking rolling their vehicles or at the least causing some sheetmetal damage or undercarriage damage. It was entertaining for me to watch, but most of the folks seemed semi terrified of the road all to save maybe 15-30min of time. A spotter was also helpful in most of those cases.
Last edited by nyker on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Last time I was at Lake Como there were two stock Rubicons. I would guess they were good drivers. There are some memorials along the road to others who were also good until they weren’t.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood