Winter TH Access

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Winter TH Access

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Under the Trailheads status page it will typically say something like, "Closed several miles below the TH."
Though on several I've noticed that people have accessed them during Winter months, in January, for example.
I've also noticed that some of the TH's open annually on specific dates. Others open on their own as the snow melts.

I'm interested to know if these TH's have specific dates as to when they open? Open as weather allows? Any typical dates or timeframes when they open?

Cebolla

Grays Creek

Halfmoon Creek

Cataract Gulch

Silver-Grizzly Gulch

North Halfmoon Creek

Rock of Ages
I should be on a mountain
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter TH Access

Post by ltlFish99 »

I always check the trailhead status updates going back a year or more to get an idea of access times.
I noticed yesterday that after the 2018/2019 heavy snows that access was somewhat later than others years, for obvious reasons. In some cases delayed beyond snow melt due to extraordinary avalanche debris blocking the roads.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Silver-Grizzly has a gate, but they usually plow Cinnamon open by Memorial Day to attract the Jeep crowd for the holiday. I think they may open the gate even earlier though as the plowing operations progress.

I'm not sure if any of the others you listed have gates or not, so would say those are "as weather allows"
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

I believe they plow the road year round to Cataract Gulch (assuming you mean the one to access Half Peak).

Best source of info is just going to be calling the relevant USFS Ranger District Offices.