The ultimate for trailhead and other sleeping needs.

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

The ultimate for trailhead and other sleeping needs.

Post by Lioness »

Add some wheels and pull behind your car or put in pick up bed.
Store in your garage.

https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/soc ... 32599.html
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Re: The ultimate for trailhead and other sleeping needs.

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

That's actually a genius idea. The question is, how much does it cost?
Hiking when possible
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Why not make it more square? Floor space is better than elbow space. Plus a regular box would be about a third of the cost. To coffin-y?

Aside from trailhead use, if those things are left unattended for homeless use, um, have you ever ridden a subway?
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Lioness wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 pm Image

Add some wheels and pull behind your car or put in pick up bed.
Store in your garage.

https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/soc ... 32599.html
uhhhmmmmm.....errrrrr......they're called campers.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Hiking_TheRockies wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:26 pm That's actually a genius idea. The question is, how much does it cost?
They are using them in Germany in winter. I'm guessing you can find the specs somewhere and build it yourself.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

pvnisher wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:33 pm Why not make it more square? Floor space is better than elbow space. Plus a regular box would be about a third of the cost. To coffin-y?

Aside from trailhead use, if those things are left unattended for homeless use, um, have you ever ridden a subway?
A flat roof isn't good for solar, snow accumulation or for the potential of water leaking in.

https://www.facebook.com/ulmernest/phot ... 6288156822
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Ok. Lean to, then.
Either way, vertical sidewalls and non Lamborghini doors would make it a lot more cost effective.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

Lioness wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:42 pm
pvnisher wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:33 pm Why not make it more square? Floor space is better than elbow space. Plus a regular box would be about a third of the cost. To coffin-y?

A flat roof isn't good for solar, snow accumulation or for the potential of water leaking in.

Eh. I live in a van and have none of these problems plus the advantage of the extra space of a cuboid vs pentagonal prism, plus not having to deal with all the added complexity of a pentagon-shaped whatever that is. Flat solar is totally fine for 99% of mobile home/basecamp use (I literally never have issues and I cook with induction and work full time in the van, so multiple computers plus all other electrical use), snow accumulation is almost utterly irrelevant for such a small thing anyway, and there's vastly more to be said for quality construction of an object than the shape of it alone when it comes to sealing it from the elements.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

supranihilest wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:29 pm I live in a van...
You should change your username to Matt Foley. I would have greater respect for you if you did.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

He didn't say he lives down by the river. :)
I gotta get me an Avatar.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

supranihilest wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:29 pm
Lioness wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:42 pm

Eh. I live in a van and have none of these problems plus the advantage of the extra space of a cuboid vs pentagonal prism, plus not having to deal with all the added complexity of a pentagon-shaped whatever that is. Flat solar is totally fine for 99% of mobile home/basecamp use (I literally never have issues and I cook with induction and work full time in the van, so multiple computers plus all other electrical use), snow accumulation is almost utterly irrelevant for such a small thing anyway, and there's vastly more to be said for quality construction of an object than the shape of it alone when it comes to sealing it from the elements.
So, you are saying a van that is has been designed to drive in the rain is equal to this shelter?! OK, you win.

What do you think of this movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxCFZ8 ... htPictures
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

supranihilest wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:29 pm
Eh. I live in a van
Where do you file state taxes?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion