Ice Lakes Fire

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Ice Lakes Fire

Post by DArcyS »

XterraRob wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:50 am Outlaw marijuana, forest fires aren't worth it.
Yeah, this might be more likely than arson. Looking at the terrain, that fire will have a hard time growing due to the high terrain (i.e., peaks made of rock). An arsonist would probably pick a better spot. The fires outside of Boulder, different story.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

justiner wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:56 pm I don't know how this fire started, nor the like *checks news* three fires near me, but arson really isn't out the question. One remembers the Hayman Fire, started by a NFS employee, and was technically arson.

Large forest fires have started via more benign, but still human-created reasons. Anyone remember this?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/15/us/carr- ... index.html
The Carr Fire ignited on July 23 near Redding after a trailer got a flat tire and its rim scraped the asphalt. The sparks that shot out from that minor incident started what is now the eighth-largest wildfire in state history.
On August 12, the Eagle County Sheriff's Office stated that the likely cause of the Grizzly Creek Fire was "a popped tire, sparks from a rim or dragging chains."
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Current hot spots detected by satellite, via caltopo:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.8163 ... a=modis_vp
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Click the link & scoll down to near the bottom. There's a video a rescued hiker took while being air lifted out. :shock:

I agree with Otina & Mike. If it's NOT a careless f*cktard who flicked a cigarette into the brush while hiking, it has got to be voluntarily arson. The area it started in doesn't bode well for camping. Can't really see anything here in Mountain Village. But last night it was apparent.
After this season, and how everything has played out, I think it's time for the authorities & Forest Service to stop playing nice.

https://durangoweatherguy.com/2020/10/2 ... ire-video/
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

So unreal to see that area so dry - when I did my hike for Vermilion, it was under a constant bank of clouds and rain.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Based on the map and the video Kiefer linked above, I think it could easily have been someone flicking a cigarette out along CR 12 (the high road that goes above that area and access to Clear Lake.

I hiked into Ice Lakes about a month ago, and as I drove in to S Mineral the night before, there were plenty of camp fires along the road and I think at the campground too. I was surprised to see and smell that many, meanwhile signs flashing en route (on state hwy's) about the statewide fire ban. #-o
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcmanusj »

We need to start AGGRESSIVELY enforcing the fire bans. No first time warnings, no "oh okay we didn't know we'll put it out", none of that.

Start slapping people with $500 fines and let the word get out. Colorado should be more interested in preserving our forests than attracting a bunch of idiots to the state that don't care about nature beyond an Instagram photo.
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

mcmanusj wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 pm We need to start AGGRESSIVELY enforcing the fire bans. No first time warnings, no "oh okay we didn't know we'll put it out", none of that.

Start slapping people with $500 fines and let the word get out. Colorado should be more interested in preserving our forests than attracting a bunch of idiots to the state that don't care about nature beyond an Instagram photo.
$500? I think you left out a zero. I think $5,000 sounds like a better deterrent. Wouldn't take too many of those fines before word we get out that we aren't screwing around.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

d_baker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm I hiked into Ice Lakes about a month ago, and as I drove in to S Mineral the night before, there were plenty of camp fires along the road and I think at the campground too. I was surprised to see and smell that many, meanwhile signs flashing en route (on state hwy's) about the statewide fire ban. #-o
Agreed, the signs have been obvious. You certainly can't go drive very far without seeing one, there is no excuse for not knowing the situation.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Probably a UTV driver.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:04 am 500+ acres only 15% containment, this really sucks

XterraRob, you should try hiking sometime instead of bashing others
Could not agree more. On all points.