Capitol Creek TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Capitol Creek TH

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Will be on Capitol this weekend. I was there a few years ago and remember the big speed / erosion humps and the road getting rougher after that.

I can bring the truck which would be fine, but would prefer to take the Chevy Cruze as I'll be driving from AZ and want the miles on that - getting rid of it soon, also way better mileage.

So it's 2WD to the horse trailer parking, then 4WD. But yet some people say a car like mine can and does make it up there. If I scrape here or there, OK, just don't want to rip the muffler off or worse. How bad would I scrape, would I high center on the big bumps? Opinions ? Thx.

Edit - Reading the older comments in the TH section I'm really leaning toward the truck now. Just such a shame, 1,500-ish miles 2wd, 2-ish miles 4wd.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Capitol Creek TH

Post by bdloftin77 »

Could you bring a bike to split the difference?
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm 2-ish miles 4wd.
Perhaps you could bring the 2wd and just cover those last 2 miles with your:

A. Chevrolegs
B. Shoebarus
C. Legsus
D. Ford Super Glutey
E. Lamborg-feeties
F. Ham-borghinis
G. Toe trucks
H. Quads-eratis
The only time I lower the bar is après
JChitwood
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Last time I was up there I parked my Suby next to a new red Chevy Cruz. With exceptions for roads like Lake Como, I’m convinced the driver is worth as much as the vehicle.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Vincopotamus wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:37 pm

A. Chevrolegs
B. Shoebarus
C. Legsus
D. Ford Super Glutey
E. Lamborg-feeties
F. Ham-borghinis
G. Toe trucks
H. Quads-eratis
That’s awesome!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wish I lived in CO wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm Edit - Reading the older comments in the TH section I'm really leaning toward the truck now. Just such a shame, 1,500-ish miles 2wd, 2-ish miles 4wd.

How long would it take to walk an extra 2 miles on a nearly flat road? I'm out of shape and it would take me 40 minutes. If you can climb Capitol Peak, why not just walk the extra 40 minutes (assuming your car doesn't make it)?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

Scott P wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:21 pm
Wish I lived in CO wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm Edit - Reading the older comments in the TH section I'm really leaning toward the truck now. Just such a shame, 1,500-ish miles 2wd, 2-ish miles 4wd.

How long would it take to walk an extra 2 miles on a nearly flat road? I'm out of shape and it would take me 40 minutes. If you can climb Capitol Peak, why not just walk the extra 40 minutes (assuming your car doesn't make it)?
Personally I can do 17mi, +5100' days but not 21mi, +5100' days.
So the presence of a vehicle capable of making it to the trailhead would make the difference between being able to daytrip Capitol or not.
Endurance is a limiting factor as well as time.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ellenmseb wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 pm So the presence of a vehicle capable of making it to the trailhead would make the difference between being able to daytrip Capitol or not.
To each his or her own, but Capitol is worth doing as an overnighter. If you do it in a day this time of year you will likely start in the dark, missing all the beautiful autumn leaves, especially if you return in the dark.

Capitol has one of the most beautiful fall 14er approaches and it would be a shame to miss it, or even to pass through too quickly. At least that's my thought.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PikaSteve
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (5)

Post by PikaSteve »

Last week, I followed a 2WD sedan to the trailhead. The road was completely dry and they had no issues getting across the water diversion humps or the two or three sections where there are rocks sticking up in the center of the road. In the last two hundred yards, there was one short section where they spun their tires in the dust.

I did a three day trip from Denver, backpacking in 5.5 miles the afternoon before and backpacking out the morning after summitting. The fall colors made for my most beautiful hike this year ( see conditions report: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=18429 ), so I am glad that I didn't miss the scenery in the dark.
Additional considerations:
- if backpacking, you will need a bear canister;
- on 14ers.com, the route description says 17 miles roundtrip, but the profile tab suggests 19miles roundtrip;
- the day trippers that I ran into started before 4am and likely finished in the dark;
- if day tripping, you will want a perfect weather forecast or an even earlier start;
- the trail is in excellent condition, so the miles go by very quickly up to the Daly/K2 saddle above Capitol Lake and then very slowly beyond the saddle;
- between 2WD and 4WD parking areas, there are no intermediate parking areas, only pullouts for passing.

Road photo from September 23:
Road to Capitol Trailhead 23 Sep 2020.jpg
Road to Capitol Trailhead 23 Sep 2020.jpg (305.76 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Scott P wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:18 am
ellenmseb wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 pm So the presence of a vehicle capable of making it to the trailhead would make the difference between being able to daytrip Capitol or not.
To each his or her own, but Capitol is worth doing as an overnighter. If you do it in a day this time of year you will likely start in the dark, missing all the beautiful autumn leaves, especially if you return in the dark.

Capitol has one of the most beautiful fall 14er approaches and it would be a shame to miss it, or even to pass through too quickly. At least that's my thought.
That is a good point. The approach was one of my favorite parts of the Capitol climb.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

i was able to make it to the upper th in a prius last season
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

Will_E wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 pm
Vincopotamus wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:37 pm

A. Chevrolegs
B. Shoebarus
C. Legsus
D. Ford Super Glutey
E. Lamborg-feeties
F. Ham-borghinis
G. Toe trucks
H. Quads-eratis
That’s awesome!
Since you appreciate this top shelf humor, I'll add a couple more I forgot

I. Bootgattis