Capitol Creek TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Capitol Creek TH

Post by Gandalf69 »

Was at Capitol last weekend. Many smaller cars, a accord, a BMW, and like 2 other smaller, low clearance cars all made it to the upper th. Road was in pretty good shape.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Well, it worked out. Took the truck, was great on the TH road.

However might not have been if I had taken the car. It's overheating today now that I'm back in town. This would have happened only a few miles down the road starting from AZ. We'll see what the mechanic says ..............
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
MikeyShum
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MikeyShum »

Has anyone been up Capitol Creek recently in a smaller/non-4wd car (imagine a Scion TC)? Hoping to head up this weekend and curious if I can make it to the trailhead or need to park lower. Thanks!
LifeIsGood
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LifeIsGood »

MikeyShum wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:04 pmanyone been up recently in a non-4wd car (imagine a Scion TC)?
People sometimes say any car can make it, but I have been there fairly recently and fully agree with the description provided by this website:

Easy 4WD dirt road to the TH. In spring and early summer, the road can get slippery on a steep hill. 4WD and good clearance is recommended in early summer.

Just because a road is called "easy 4wd" does not mean any car can make it. Rain makes it worse. In 2wd, momentum is needed in a couple steep spots, and there are large humps to negotiate. My opinion: take an appropriate vehicle or take the advice of a previous poster and use your

A. Chevrolegs
B. Shoebarus
C. Legsus
NatDog
13ers: 33 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by NatDog »

MikeyShum wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:04 pm Has anyone been up Capitol Creek recently in a smaller/non-4wd car (imagine a Scion TC)? Hoping to head up this weekend and curious if I can make it to the trailhead or need to park lower. Thanks!
I saw a Prius parked at the trailhead on Saturday.
MikeyShum
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MikeyShum »

Appreciate the thoughts/updates