Weekday summits

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rastroski
Trip Reports (0)

Weekday summits

Post by rastroski »

I was going to do Grays tomorrow or Thursday. The weather looks good and I already plan on a slower ascent due to being from Indiana. From reading on here weekends for parking are horrible unless you get an early start. I initially was going to start at 4 but would there still be parking at the trailhead at 5 on a weekday? Get a so slightly later start?

For future reference, are weekdays typically better to summit to avoid the larger crowds?

Also, thanks to everyone who has commented on other forum posts. The information is so helpful!
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Weekday summits

Post by Mtnman200 »

Weekdays are less crowded than weekends. Personally, I wouldn’t be too concerned about parking at 4 or 5 AM on a Wednesday or Thursday this time of year.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:38 pm Weekdays are less crowded than weekends. Personally, I wouldn’t be too concerned about parking at 4 or 5 AM on a Wednesday or Thursday this time of year.
+1
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

We still got parking around 6:30 am on a Friday in early June (though lot was full and roadside parking filling up quickly too).
And yes, weekdays are less crowded.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

rastroski wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:11 pm I was going to do Grays tomorrow or Thursday. The weather looks good and I already plan on a slower ascent due to being from Indiana. From reading on here weekends for parking are horrible unless you get an early start. I initially was going to start at 4 but would there still be parking at the trailhead at 5 on a weekday? Get a so slightly later start?

For future reference, are weekdays typically better to summit to avoid the larger crowds?

Also, thanks to everyone who has commented on other forum posts. The information is so helpful!
Also, consider which parking lot you will be at. The lower lot off I-70 will very likely have plenty of spots before sunrise, the upper one might be a different story but this will depend on the vehicle you have and comfort driving it to the upper TH.
tipiman
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tipiman »

Trotter wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:58 am
Mtnman200 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:38 pm Weekdays are less crowded than weekends. Personally, I wouldn’t be too concerned about parking at 4 or 5 AM on a Wednesday or Thursday this time of year.
+1
+2