Oh so close! What now (Low clearance THs near LakeCity)?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OrngChocD
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Oh so close! What now (Low clearance THs near LakeCity)?

Post by OrngChocD »

stephakett wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:21 pm
interestingly enough i was chatting with one of the jeep tourguides in ouray last summer about the alpine loop. their company used to be able to do a day trip from ouray to lake city and back, but now those trips are taking 10+ hours because all the UTVs have REALLY rutted up the road. so yes, it's a safe bet that in the last couple of years things have changed.

to those people who own/operate 2WD/low-clearance sedans looking for an accurate conditions report: i would recommend not taking advice from anyone except those who have personally driven a low-clearance sedan on this road in 2020

Interesting. So, are the UTVs a new thing there? I wondered if I should rent one (the UTVs were the only rental option in the area) after my initial post in this thread but it was like $250 for half day or something, assuming any were available. Apparently, it was a very popular weekend to be there. All kinds of things were booked solid/sold out. Not that half day rental would have worked for me.

A couple of yrs back, in response to someone's comment about the beauty of the San Juans, I'd asked if GG was reachable in a regular sedan and was told yes, though it was better done in a high clearance vehicle. I also checked this page and it looked like a sedan could get you to the TH as of earlier this month. But when the Jeepers told me to turn around, I trusted their advice. But as Trotter said, maybe they thought I was driving to/beyond the pass and not just to the TH. I don't recall exactly what I asked them.

SamWerner wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:20 pm I left a conditions report so hopefully my fellow wrong-car-for-Colorado owners know what lies ahead!
Thanks. I was on the trail the day you posted your report. I didn't see any sedans there on Sunday. The smallest car I saw was one of them small SUV crossovers. I forget the make/model. But I take exception to calling a Corolla/sedan a wrong-car-for-Colorado. I had a lovely trip :-D. I would actually feel totally pretentious (besides many other things) driving a brawny vehicle. Kind of like when I see people wearing camo outfits for garden variety civilian activities.
thebugguy
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thebugguy »

I have to agree with the other folks- unless you have a first-hand account of a similar low-clearance 2WD making it to X on road Y recently, it's perhaps best to plan for something else. Unless of course you happen to live in the neighborhood and have the luxury of burning up a couple climbing days by trying to get to somewhere and having to turn around (living in Kansas, I don't have that luxury- every day in the mountains is gold to me). I got my '97 RAV-4 up to the American Basin in 2013, but it was a pretty white-knuckled drive at the time and who knows if it's possible now.
40_201308032104401.jpg
40_201308032104401.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
That old RAV has 7.5" of clearance, for the record...

Similarly, I drove up to the nearby Nellie Creek trailhead to do Uncompahgre in my Toyota Tacoma a few years ago and was suitably impressed with the "seriousness" of the 4WD road. I thought it was challenging enough at the time that, this summer, in my newer CR-V, I explicitly planned against trying it again. Come to find out, the first couple hundred yards of the road had fresh gravel dumped on it and was perfectly fine for the Honda. Fine enough to get up the whole way? I had no idea and didn't want to waste a day finding out, so I turned around... I didn't make Uncompahgre the first time and I didn't get very close this summer- it will have to wait for another season...

Cheers,
zack
I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food... -W.C. Fields
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

OrngChocD wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:56 pm Interesting. So, are the UTVs a new thing there? I wondered if I should rent one (the UTVs were the only rental option in the area) after my initial post in this thread but it was like $250 for half day or something, assuming any were available. Apparently, it was a very popular weekend to be there. All kinds of things were booked solid/sold out. Not that half day rental would have worked for me.
they've really exploded in popularity over the last couple years because UTVs offer a much more comfortable ride than jeeps. it's a bucket list trip for me to rent one for a few days to drive/camp/hike around the area. even for just a day, Handies is a pretty short hike and you'd still be able to have an incredibly fun time exploring some the trails between lake city and ouray like poughkepsie gulch, engineer pass, cinnamon pass, etc. :thumbup: :thumbup:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis