amazing new camping trend: Boondocking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

amazing new camping trend: Boondocking

Post by pvnisher »

Apparently it's a brand new trend to just, you know, camp away from people?
lol.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/07/success/ ... index.html
>> That's why a lot of campers these days are enjoying the seclusion of "boondocking," or camping away from traditional campsites. And away from all those other campers.
"You drive around. You find yourself a spot, you don't have any services of any sort," said Amanda Watson who's been living in a 1998 Safari motorhome with her husband for eight years. "That's what I consider boondocking." <<
SephTR
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: amazing new camping trend: Boondocking

Post by SephTR »

New camping trend: camping!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

wait so they're still RV'ing though just not with a hookup
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I know! The hardship!
No wonder it's sort of an extreme camping sport. I can't imagine what drives people to those kind of desperate measures.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

This is how I feel about the word "overlanding". In most cases in the US it can be simply replaced with "a weekend road trip". But overlanding sounds cooler so that's what people say now.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

ezabielski wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:00 am This is how I feel about the word "overlanding". In most cases in the US it can be simply replaced with "a weekend road trip". But overlanding sounds cooler so that's what people say now.
I feel like more people are willing to spend money on an "overlanding" rig than a minivan. To me, overlanding is about roading to tierra del fuego and up africa, but I realize the market of people actually doing that is small. People are buying a "dream"....
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Conor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:11 am I feel like more people are willing to spend money on an "overlanding" rig than a minivan. To me, overlanding is about roading to tierra del fuego and up africa, but I realize the market of people actually doing that is small. People are buying a "dream"....
Like 95% of the lifted Jeeps you see all over the USA. Most are mall crawlers.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

climbingcue wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 am
Conor wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:11 am I feel like more people are willing to spend money on an "overlanding" rig than a minivan. To me, overlanding is about roading to tierra del fuego and up africa, but I realize the market of people actually doing that is small. People are buying a "dream"....
Yeah, and that stuff isn't cheap either. This guy I saw at an in-town mountain bike trail told me he had $6000 in the lift kit and his jeep wasn't even up very high at all.
I have never understood why anyone would spend that kind of cash just to look cool. Then again I guess there are LOTS of examples of that trend in America. I wonder if people have ever thought about donating money to a worthy charity instead.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

nunns wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:45 am
climbingcue wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 am
Yeah, and that stuff isn't cheap either. This guy I saw at an in-town mountain bike trail told me he had $6000 in the lift kit and his jeep wasn't even up very high at all.
I have never understood why anyone would spend that kind of cash just to look cool. Then again I guess there are LOTS of examples of that trend in America. I wonder if people have ever thought about donating money to a worthy charity instead.

Sean Nunn
Do you not have hobbies? For some people, collecting parts and installing them is part of the fun. Others, it is doing it themselves. I don't think hobbies are something that needs to be looked down on. Anyone can make your same argument for just about anything. Buy a vehicle trim over the base, donate it charity. Buy a house not approved by Laura Ingalls Wilder, donate it charity. Ski passes for the kids, donate it charity. Name brand clothing, donate it charity. Spend time driving from Missouri to Colorado to go hiking, donate it charity.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Yeah, well, i like my glass house with a couple broken windows.