Maroon Bells Reservations/Access

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CO_Wolfe
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Maroon Bells Reservations/Access

Post by CO_Wolfe »

I'm trying to get to the Maroon Bells trailhead during the week of September 21, but all the parking lot reservations are (predictably) sold out already. From what I can tell, my options are:

1. Bike in and out
2. Beg for a ride on the forums here
3. Hitchhike before 7:30 am
4. Hike in from near Schofield pass on the Crested Butte side
5. Uber/Lyft up to the lot before 7:30 am. Not sure if this is allowed or practical from Aspen?

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for any of these options? Thanks.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells Reservations/Access

Post by uwe »

Word is you really need a reservation. One option is to be dropped off if you are hiking to Crested Butte. For that no reservation required. Unless they changed that, too. I had planned a trip based on early August data that allowed for after 5:00PM drop-off. When I showed up, Ranger Ruddy said no go dude. As of August 5th. ONLY RESERVATIONS or a through hike to Crested Butte from Maroon Lake is allowed. Guess who did not double check before heading out a couple of weeks back? Boy, was I feeling dumb and bummed. Next year - maybe even another CMC Mini-Elks Tour: Pyramid, Bells Traverse or Cord if snow is still in, Castle, Capitol and Snowmass.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

We were there saturday on a last minute overnight permit that my partner got. Just keep checking for people who cancelled, it worked perfect for us. When we finished out hike sunday and were back at the parking lot there had to be at least 50 bicycles and most of them were e-bikes. So I think the best thing if you can not get a permit last minute, just bike up the road.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
quinnwolf
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 55 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quinnwolf »

you can ride the bus. you need a reservation, but there is lots of availability that week. it is $16 round trip and runs every 15 minutes from 8am to 5pm (last ride up is at 3pm). you have to figure out where to park your car though. its not as convenient as driving your car, but i would think its more convenient than some of your other suggestions.
https://aspenchamber.org/trip-highlight ... ns/shuttle
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

We’re going up there Thursday on a 60-hour camping permit. We could cram another person in our vehicle if you have bungees or ratchet straps to strap some packs to the top - and if our schedule fits yours. We will be at the gate 7:30ish Thursday (we’re camping). Planning to climb Maroon Peak (no traverse) and hike out Friday. Let me know if you want to work out logistics.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
rkylet83
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rkylet83 »

I’m planning on going for day climbs, starting at 3-4AM and leaving mid day a couple times next week. Is there a permit needed for that or just pay the daily fee?
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

rkylet83 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:35 pm I’m planning on going for day climbs, starting at 3-4AM and leaving mid day a couple times next week. Is there a permit needed for that or just pay the daily fee?
You need a permit.
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

Lots of people took taxis (not uber/lyft) up from Aspen early morning, then shuttle back in the afternoon. I don't know the details or how much it costs.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

CO_Wolfe wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:28 pm I'm trying to get to the Maroon Bells trailhead during the week of September 21, but all the parking lot reservations are (predictably) sold out already. From what I can tell, my options are:

1. Bike in and out
2. Beg for a ride on the forums here
3. Hitchhike before 7:30 am
4. Hike in from near Schofield pass on the Crested Butte side
5. Uber/Lyft up to the lot before 7:30 am. Not sure if this is allowed or practical from Aspen?

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for any of these options? Thanks.
Bicycle or Roller Blades.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

quinnwolf wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:32 pm you can ride the bus. you need a reservation, but there is lots of availability that week. it is $16 round trip and runs every 15 minutes from 8am to 5pm (last ride up is at 3pm). you have to figure out where to park your car though. its not as convenient as driving your car, but i would think its more convenient than some of your other suggestions.
https://aspenchamber.org/trip-highlight ... ns/shuttle
I believe it is $30 for multi-day parking at Aspen Highlands, where the Maroon bus begins.
Further out is the free Brush Creek parking lot. Then free shuttles to Aspen, a second shuttle Aspen highlands. I couldnt find a clear answer if overnight parking is allowed there. The authorities periodically expel people who sleep in their vehicles there.
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

The problem they're having is that the people who uber up want to ride the shuttle down. There's already a full shuttle from the reservations. I think they finally stopped allowing to uber up. We used an uber up on 8/2 and were fine. We did ride down with a couple guys we met on the summit of North Maroon though. Sounds like there's just a problem with too much people up there with not enough shuttles to bring them down. The road is only like 8 miles with 2k of gain though so we even thought of hiking it worst case.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

RMNP is also resuming timed entry permits this summer, a couple weeks after they said they wouldn't. And moved the start of that window to 5am. Separate time permits for bear lake rd and the rest of the park.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"