Pronounce "Guanella"

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Pronounce "Guanella"

Post by greenonion »

Please humor me... Given how Colorado pronounces Byoona Vista, how is "Guanella" pronounced? Is it more like Gwah-nela, or Wah-naya, or Wah-nela? Or Guacamole (jk of course, really wondering the correct pronunseeashun).
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pronounce "Guanella"

Post by greenonion »

BTW - I did search the forum with "pronounce Guanella" and didn't find anything.
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

I never considered this in the past but I just found out about 'Byoona-Vista' so now I am curious. I say Gwah-nella but I am also a fairly recent transplant.
litote312
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by litote312 »

Juan-eller, rolls right off the tongue.
Don't bash each other; bash willows.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

greenonion wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:57 am Please humor me... Given how Colorado pronounces Byoona Vista, how is "Guanella" pronounced?
"Byoona Vista" annoys me to no end ](*,)
Gwahn-ella for Guanella Pass for me.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:21 pm
greenonion wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:57 am Please humor me... Given how Colorado pronounces Byoona Vista, how is "Guanella" pronounced?
"Byoona Vista" annoys me to no end ](*,)
Gwahn-ella for Guanella Pass for me.
Totally agree. I heard somewhere that the town's founders originally intended it's Americanized pronunciation in a charter or something, but I don't know if true, or if there's more to the back story. Thank goodness we can just say "BV."
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Ah-void
Make wilderness less accessible.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:21 pm "Byoona Vista" annoys me to no end ](*,)
Me, as well. I refuse to give in and so pronounce it as it should be "Bwayna Vista".
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I think the correct pronunciation is Gwah-naya, like Quesa-di-ya, but I hear most ppl say say Gwah-nela
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

The town’s name has been pronounced “BEW-na Vista” instead of the Spanish “BWAY-na Vista” ever since it was founded. Its nickname is “BEW-nie.” It all came about at a meeting in 1879, when residents and property owners in the area at the convergence of Cottonwood Creek and the Arkansas River held a meeting to create a formal community. They had been told that would help attract a railroad line (eventually it attracted three). Two names were proposed by attendees: Collegiate Peaks, after the mountains in the area, and Buena Vista, which means “beautiful view” in Spanish, certainly an appropriate description.

Alsina Dearheimer, the resident and property owner who suggested the name Buena Vista, certainly knew how the Spanish words were pronounced, her first husband having been a language and music professor. But she insisted that the pronunciation for the town name be Americanized into “BEW-na,” borrowing the first syllable of the English word beautiful. Her suggestion carried the day. An interesting anomaly was born, and Dearheimer became known as the Mother of BEW-na Vista. To this day long time residents carry on the tradition and say “Bewna Vista”. If it is hard for visitors to swallow, it is suggested they just say “BEWNIE” or BV.
https://www.buenavistacolorado.org/history/
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Gwah-nela

From Wikipedia....

"The pass was named for Byron Guanella in 1953. Guanella was a road supervisor and commissioner in Clear Creek County for nearly 50 years."
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Dave B wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:50 pmAh-void
+1 and that's funny.

Reminds me of the thread when Brett Maune was giving the 14ers speed record a go, and there was a question about how to pronounce his last name. The winning entry that pretty much ended the conservation was the way who stated" "I believe it is pronounced BADA$$."

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6