Pronounce "Guanella"

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pronounce "Guanella"

Post by PJ88 »

and I thought the butchering of French in the Midwest was bad...
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

PJ88 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm and I thought the butchering of French in the Midwest was bad...
Don't get me started on Dubois, WY. Doo-boyce :shock:
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

spoony wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:29 pm How does Worcester, Mass become "wu·str" or Bexar County, Texas become "bear"?
oh yea I used to live in that region and never understood but just thought that gmaps didn't know how to pronounce it correctly
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

greenonion wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm
PJ88 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm and I thought the butchering of French in the Midwest was bad...
Don't get me started on Dubois, WY. Doo-boyce :shock:
Just like Des Plaines, IL. Dez Planez. #-o
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

spoony wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:29 pm
How does Worcester, Mass become "wu·str" ?
that's the standard British pronunciation for towns with the suffix 'cester'. similarly, Leicester is pronounced "Lester".
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

shelly+ wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:10 pm
that's the standard British pronunciation for towns with the suffix 'cester'. similarly, Leicester is pronounced "Lester".
Right, but its still missing an "r" (should be "wor·ster") and how did the Brits get there?
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

spoony wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:30 pm
Right, but its still missing an "r" (should be "wor·ster") and how did the Brits get there?
lol the English don't pronounce R. Worcester is an English town near Birmingham in the midlands.
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Post by johnt »

Why not pronounce them the way locals prefer? People don't seem to take issue with anglicized pronounciations of Los Angeles, Salida, or Limon. Why not Buena Vista? And it's kind of funny that people want to go Spanish on Buena, but Vista stays English. Full disclosure - I live in Byoona Vista.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

shelly+ wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:10 pm
Honest question, why is "Manchesta" different? (I heard that they are Mancunians because "Manchurian" was already taken.)
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

cedica wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:49 pm
Honest question, why is "Manchesta" different? (I heard that they are Mancunians because "Manchurian" was already taken.)
because people use language unpredictably. the suffixes 'chester' and 'cester' are derived from latin, and any town with one of these suffixes would have been a Roman settlement. mancunian refers to the local dialect.... which is utterly incomprehensible. lol
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

johnt wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:44 pm Why not pronounce them the way locals prefer? People don't seem to take issue with anglicized pronounciations of Los Angeles, Salida, or Limon. Why not Buena Vista? And it's kind of funny that people want to go Spanish on Buena, but Vista stays English. Full disclosure - I live in Byoona Vista.
+1

The two pronunciations that I'm never sure of are Guyot and Boreas.
Last edited by TaylorHolt on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

4thPlaceAtFieldDay wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm The two pronunciations that I'm never sure of are Guyot and Boreas.
i've always said: "Goo-Yo" and "Bore-ee-ess"

didn't know those were up for debate
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis