Pronounce "Guanella"

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
2giqs
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pronounce "Guanella"

Post by 2giqs »

and in South Jersey:

Buena and Buena Vista
(Atlantic County)
It's not pronounced the Spanish way. Pronounce the 'ue' part of the word like you'd say "you". So, B(you)na. Or, as NJ.com writes, "Byoona"
76dorihe
14ers: 45 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 76dorihe »

I'm sitting in Wally La La's laundry at the moment. I asked the gentleman cleaning if he was Wally and found out that Wally is a girl, his daughter. I assume it's pronounced Whá-lee, not Wall-eye, or Wall-eé. There must be a bakery nearby because the smell of burnt crumbs is getting sucked inside because of the dryers causing negative pressure. Gwa-néll-ah.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

dpage wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 pm
greenonion wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:04 pm
I dare any Coloradoans,
Other Colorado knowledge, Coloradoan is a newspaper. People who live here are Coloradans.
Aha! I stand corrected, and you are correct, sir. That probably came from me perusing the Ft Collins online newspaper since my daughter is there at CSU. Thanks for the correction!
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

do people get this upset when someone's own name is pronounced in a way you wouldn't expect?

should you pronounce that persons name the way it more correctly should be in your eyes?
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

76dorihe wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 am I'm sitting in Wally La La's laundry at the moment. I asked the gentleman cleaning if he was Wally and found out that Wally is a girl, his daughter. I assume it's pronounced Whá-lee, not Wall-eye, or Wall-eé. There must be a bakery nearby because the smell of burnt crumbs is getting sucked inside because of the dryers causing negative pressure. Gwa-néll-ah.
Then who is La La?
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

LURE wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:14 am do people get this upset when someone's own name is pronounced in a way you wouldn't expect?

should you pronounce that persons name the way it more correctly should be in your eyes?
As long as they don't combine Pid with Stu, I'm ok with whatever.
Burkart
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Burkart »

dpage wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:19 pm
greenonion wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:04 pm
I dare any Coloradoans,
Other Colorado knowledge, Coloradoan is a newspaper. People who live here are Coloradans.
Of course, if you crack open a book written by a Coloradan before the 1930s, chances are the author refers to himself as a Coloradoan. The FoCo paper is an artifact of the old standard, not unlike how the fossilized old geezers who say Colo-RAD-o will be regarded in a decade or two, after Colo-ROD-o completes its inexorable rise.

Speaking of archaic localisms, nobody's brought up the good old "Peblo" pronunciation of Pueblo yet!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Oh - and FTR - it's pronounced "Goy-ott"

:mrgreen:
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

This is all well and good, but I'd still like to know why TF Couch Street in Portland, OR is pronounced "cooch."

Also
ArKANSAS = Are-can-saw
KANSAS = cans-ASS (emphasis mine)

And also
Why some Texans pronounce it more Te-shus with a silent or almost imperceptible "x," I have my theory about Texans in general, but...
Make wilderness less accessible.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

IMG_2155.jpg
IMG_2155.jpg (162.34 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

it's a good thing this isn't a sailing forum, it would drive you guys mad. boatswain, forecastle, mainsail, topgallant, bowline, starboard, leeward... the first time you hear them pronounced, you'd think you were hearing a foreign language.

if i want to know how a name or word is pronounced, i just wait for it to become a jeopardy answer. alex trebek always steers me right.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin