When does Guanella Pass Camground Fill Up

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
V1per41
14ers: 28 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

When does Guanella Pass Camground Fill Up

Post by V1per41 »

After doing a few 13ers my daughters are interested in climbing their first 14er. I fell like Bierstadt is the best combination of distance, elevation gain, and technicality for them. Unfortunately being so close to Denver, crowds feel like they would be the biggest issue. What I would like to do is head up Friday afternoon/evening, grab a first come/first serve camping spot at the Guanella Pass Campground, then hopefully get to the trail-head for 4-5am. I've seen a lot of suggestions on here about using the campgrounds in the area if you plan on climbing, but nothing about timing.

My question, which I can't seem to find anywhere, is what time would these first come camping spots fill up? Would I be good getting there at 8pm on a Friday? 5pm? Is it completely unrealistic even at noon?

TIA
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: When does Guanella Pass Camground Fill Up

Post by Gandalf69 »

If you go on a Friday it will fill up sooner than other days for sure. 8PM is probably going to be full, so is 5pm, maybe after noon, before 4 would be good. I've seen it full more often then not, but luck of the draw lol
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

There’s also Burning Bear and Geneva Park campgrounds on the south side of Guanella. A few miles farther but way closer than Denver.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If you're coming from the Denver area, why hassle with camping? Its only about an hour's drive to Guanella Pass. Unless you just feel like camping. But, remember, NO FIRES.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
V1per41
14ers: 28 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by V1per41 »

Gandalf69 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm If you go on a Friday it will fill up sooner than other days for sure. 8PM is probably going to be full, so is 5pm, maybe after noon, before 4 would be good. I've seen it full more often then not, but luck of the draw lol
Earliest I could get there is likely 5:30pm. Hoping that since we're into September we might get lucky with fewer people?

JChitwood wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:29 pm There’s also Burning Bear and Geneva Park campgrounds on the south side of Guanella. A few miles farther but way closer than Denver.
I'm fine with any of those options as well, mostly just wondering if there would still be an available spot on a Friday at 6pm
mtree wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:46 pm If you're coming from the Denver area, why hassle with camping? Its only about an hour's drive to Guanella Pass. Unless you just feel like camping. But, remember, NO FIRES.
1) The kids love camping
2) With younger kids, any extra sleep they get before attempting their first climb this large will be invaluable, and I'm 90 minutes from the TH, so I'd rather them have that extra rest.

I feel like half our camping trips so far this haven't allowed fires so we're used to it at this point.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Keep in mind - that campground is officially slated to close Sep 13.