Recommendations for best camping/4 wheeling options near an easier 14er?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lnh507
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (1)

Recommendations for best camping/4 wheeling options near an easier 14er?

Post by lnh507 »

My brother is coming up to visit soon and is interested in doing his first fourteener. I’m trying to pick one out to make for the best possible experience for him based on a few fairly specific criteria that I wasn’t able to easily search for, so thought I’d ask you all for recommendations.

My brother’s a young guy in fairly good shape, but this is his first, so would like to keep it on the relatively easier side (doesn’t have to be one of the classic “easiest” 24ers I.e. bierdstadt, etc., but no more than class 2, and something not super crazy long would be preferable). Additionally, he loves 4 wheeling (has a highly modified 4Runner) and wants to camp somewhere scenic/as relatively ~secluded~ as is realistic in these times. My mom will likely also be with us but not climbing, so a scenic camping location that she could maybe stroll around at lower elevations and enjoy herself while we’re gone would be ideal.

So, all that said, looking for your recommendations on a peak(s)/location that check the following blocks:
-easy-ish
-good camping nearby (doesn’t have to be right at the trailhead), ideally near a nice lake or something, where we could spend maybe a couple of nights
-good 4 wheel drive options nearby- if the road to the trailhead is rough/4wd only, that’s actually a plus in our case
-scenic and not super overcrowded
-location wise, looking more at the sawatch area- would love to go to he San Juans but don’t think we’ll have time given the length of time from CO Springs- but flexible

Thanks in advance!
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Recommendations for best camping/4 wheeling options near an easier 14er?

Post by glenmiz »

Handies from American Basin (need 4wd to get to the TH) and dispersed camp along the road from Grizzly Gulch TH. Plenty of 4wd options nearby. Only problem is that the 4wd activity will affect the serenity.
Aim high to end high
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

Blanca or Ellingwood from Lake Como Road. Depending on how modified his 4wd is you might make it to the lake...not likely though
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Maybe la Plata via the SW ridge? A bit of wheeling at the th with a nice aspen and pine lined steam to explore or sit by with a book for mom, relatively straightforward hike to a beautiful summit.
Where ever you are... There you are.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Missouri from Rockdale. that’s a fun 4WD trail, great camping by Clohesy Lake, scenic, and doable for a first 14er- it’s steep and a lot is off trail, but it’s not very technical (except for the crux) and it’s pretty short. bonus points for going in the fall

overall i’d say you’re going to have to sacrifice some of the requirements on your list, as there aren’t a lot of 14ers that fit the bill for all of the above.

there’s 4 wheeling on Antero but it’s not as scenic and the camping isn’t as good. Holy Cross is a lot of 4wheeling but it’s not an easy 14er. Huron is a good first 14er but the 4wheeling sucks. etc etc. you’d find a lot more options if you open up to 13ers.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
aleugers
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aleugers »

I agree with LaPlata SW Ridge or Missouri from Clohesy Lake. The Clohesy Lake is listed as the Rockdale TH here. Both of these 4x4 routes start off the same road, County Rd 390, so you could pick one and explore some of the rest of the area in the 4Runner if you have down time. Huron is back there as well but would be more crowded, the last two miles of that road is 4x4 but I thought it was the easier of the three drives.

Clohesy Lake is more challenging of a 4x4 drive but a modified 4Runner won’t have an issue with the trail.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

SW slopes on massive could be another option since there's a bit of wheeling to get to the th and the hike itself is also pretty straightforward. It might be somewhat less scenic than la plata but the ascent from treeline to the summit ridge passes through a pretty alpine meadow with big views of the surrounding peaks.
Where ever you are... There you are.
aleugers
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aleugers »

Also on Massive SW Slopes you can drive past the trailhead through the creek to the Champion Mill site if you’re looking for extra 4x4 time. There’s also another spur to the south off Halfmoon Creek rd before you get to Massive SW Slopes TH that is said to be a little more difficult, I haven’t been up that way though.
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

aleugers wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:41 pm I agree with LaPlata SW Ridge or Missouri from Clohesy Lake. The Clohesy Lake is listed as the Rockdale TH here. Both of these 4x4 routes start off the same road, County Rd 390, so you could pick one and explore some of the rest of the area in the 4Runner if you have down time. Huron is back there as well but would be more crowded, the last two miles of that road is 4x4 but I thought it was the easier of the three drives.

Clohesy Lake is more challenging of a 4x4 drive but a modified 4Runner won’t have an issue with the trail.
Yup, this would be $money$...I did this with my buddy’s Tacoma a few years ago. Dog and 8 year old daughter able to summit. One of my favorite days
lnh507
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lnh507 »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I’ll look into all... camping at lake clohesy to do la plata and/or Missouri does sound promising. Especially given that Huron’s right in the area too making it 3 viable possibilities