Will Argentine Pass Trailhead to Torrey's / Gray's allow for significantly better social distancing?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jportes
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Will Argentine Pass Trailhead to Torrey's / Gray's allow for significantly better social distancing?

Post by jportes »

Can anyone describe the ridge line from Edwards to Gray's, preferably with pictures and/or video? Just trying to figure out how technical it is. Thank you!
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Will Argentine Pass Trailhead to Torrey's / Gray's allow for significantly better social distancing?

Post by cougar »

very few people on the southwest route from Chihauhua Gulch. It seemed to be a popular car camping and ATV area along the road on the weekends, but you'd likely just encounter crowds between Grays and Torreys where the route is common with standard. Just be really good at route finding because it's not an obvious route if you go Chihauhua Gulch - you need to follow the road fork to the right which the stream flows down Ruby Gulch. Also the west slope of the saddle between Grays and Torreys has bad scree - you can avoid this by sticking to the SW ridge of Grays and and south Torreys ridge and come down the head of the gulch.

The Horseshoe Basin route is at the end of the road closer to Argentine Pass but would require a reclimb of Grays (or most of it) if you did Torreys. Great way to just get Grays and Edwards though.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 322 26 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

jportes wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:46 pm Can anyone describe the ridge line from Edwards to Gray's, preferably with pictures and/or video? Just trying to figure out how technical it is. Thank you!
No pictures, but it is not technical. Class 2+ occasionally, mostly just class 2 without a trail. Stick to the ridge except when it would be silly to do so. It's easy if you have any off-trail experience, route finding is incredibly straight forward.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:56 pm
jportes wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:46 pm Can anyone describe the ridge line from Edwards to Gray's, preferably with pictures and/or video? Just trying to figure out how technical it is. Thank you!
No pictures, but it is not technical. Class 2+ occasionally, mostly just class 2 without a trail. Stick to the ridge except when it would be silly to do so. It's easy if you have any off-trail experience, route finding is incredibly straight forward.
Agree with the above - it's a trivial stroll with a couple big rocky humps that you can go over our bypass on the right. Easy terrain if you want to add on McClellan as well. The masses will vanish as soon as you take 2 steps towards Edwards. I have photos on my home PC but too many hikes ago to dig them out on my phone.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

There's some pics of the traverse in this report I wrote. Like others said, there's not much to it.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

I did it as an 11-year old many years ago, so it can’t be very difficult.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

Here's another trip report for your perusal: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20425

There was one move in there that felt low Class 3 to me, but that might just be because I'm short. Most of it is fairly straightforward (well, as long as it's dry...parts closer to Edwards are narrow enough that I imagine they could be a bit spicy with snow like what we got last week on them).
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)