Avoiding OHVs in the San Juans

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
markoboston
Trip Reports (0)

Avoiding OHVs in the San Juans

Post by markoboston »

Hi Folks. I'm planning a week of solo hiking in the San Juans. In response to a separate post, someone told me to expect a lot of OHV traffic. No offense, but I don't want a lot of OHV traffic. It's okay with me if people want to use OHVs. I'm just hoping I can get advice on where they tend to go, so that I can avoid them in my search for peace and solitude. I have a National Geographic modified topo map. I see that there are "motorized trails". Do the OHVs stick to those and the 4WD roads, or do I need to worry about them on hiking trails, too? If so, are there trails where I'm not likely to see (or more importantly, hear) them? Thanks in advance.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Avoiding OHVs in the San Juans

Post by Ptglhs »

Motorized vehicles are not allowed in Wilderness areas so I would stick to those Trails for backpacking if you're able to do so.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

The san juans are huge. A lot of people enjoy our lands differently, but you really have to try to get annoyed with a single group. Lots of ways to avoid ohv. Avoid the "major" towns - Durango, silverton, ouray, lake city and look at a map like caltopo or fstopo. The roads are pretty clearly marked. Sticking to colorsdo trail and/or cdt will provide the lack of ohv you seek. If you provide more details of where you are looking and what you want, I'm sure lots of advice/opinions will follow.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

What part of the San Juans were you planning on being? If you give the specific area people will have some good suggestions here.
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

avoid roads and you should be fine
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

In the 3 times I've been to the lake city area recently, there were a lot of them each time.
While chatting with a few peeps at the grizzly gulch trailhead, they mentioned that a large group of them were touring the alpine loop. This was also true at other areas by lake city.
When I camped at places that were not near the alpine loop, there was none, or very little ohv activity.
I do not know where you are going, but I have heard, or read about the ruby lake basin being a wonderful place to spend some time.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Stay out of Lake City if you want to avoid OHV's. It's a very nice little town though.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I second the recommendation for Wilderness areas if you want to avoid OHVs, as they are not allowed on those trails. The biggest areas of OHV use are the Alpine Loop (Cinnamon-Engineer and its numerous tributary roads) and Imogene/Yankee Boy Basin. If you avoid those and stick to hiking/mountain biking only trails you are generally good too.

Also starting early, I don't run into many OHVs in the San Juans except in the afternoon on my way back down, they usually are not out before 9/10 am.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Bccrhp
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Bccrhp »

When we hiked from American Basin to Grizzly Gulch as part of Handies loop a few weeks ago, probably 40-50 OHVs raced past us. That whole area is packed with them. But as others have said, Uncompaghre/Wetterhorn feels like an entirely different planet.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

my experience: if the trail you're looking at is open to motorized traffic, you will encounter motorized traffic- primarily in the san juans, but often times on the front range, as well.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

rideWP
14ers: 42 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by rideWP »

Stay away from the Alpine Loop and the other high passes and you should be fine. The San Juan's are unique that you can access them with OHV's, I think it's great as a RZR owner myself.
I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! These here is God's finest sculpturing's! There ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent...