Booth Creek TH to Piney Lake (with bike shuttle)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Booth Creek TH to Piney Lake (with bike shuttle)

Post by rdp32 »

I'm considering sometime doing a one-night backpacking trip in which I start at Booth Creek TH and end at Piney Lake, then ride my old mountain bike back to the starting point. I have two questions for anyone who is familiar with that area:

1. Should it be relatively easy to ride a bike from Piney Lake to Booth Creek TH? I'm guessing it is all do-able (and mostly downhill) based on the map, but I have never been there in person.
2. I'm assuming this route would be best done in the direction described, going up and over East Booth Pass from Booth Lake (probably camping near Booth Lake). If the other direction is for some reason preferred, or if a different route is better (West Booth Pass?), please let me know. Or if there are other areas along the route with better campsite options than Booth Lake, please let me know as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Booth Creek TH to Piney Lake (with bike shuttle)

Post by docjohn »

Right on, the road from Piney down to Vail is usually filled with bicyclists, be aware of dumb drivers of cars. You can easily navigate your way to Booth trailhead.
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

One thing to note, the last time I was at the Booth Creek TH (a couple years ago) it was a day use parking lot only with signs saying that no overnight parking was allowed. I know there is overnight parking just south of the interstate near the East Vail exit which isn't too far away.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

The car /bike part is fairly simple. Getting from Booth Lake to Piney Lake if you've never done either before---not so much. There is no trail and the scramble is either class 3 or class 4. Major scree fields. It's doable but it may suck.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks all. I'm assuming the Piney side would easier to find a safer spot to stash the bike (just chained to a tree or something)? I've never been there, but I'm guessing it gets less traffic over there?

Although it sounds like East Booth Pass may be too hard for me based on Bill G's comment. I don't mind the "no trail" part (I actually like it), but the Class 3/4 sounds a little harder than what I wanted (for some reason I was thinking that pass would go at Class 2+/3-; not sure where I got that impression from)
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Like Bill said, there's really no "easy" way down from that side. Typical Gore steep af. The views are incredible from E. Booth Pass, tho.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Barnold41 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:22 am Like Bill said, there's really no "easy" way down from that side. Typical Gore steep af. The views are incredible from E. Booth Pass, tho.
Came back through East Booth last autumn after doing the Rockinghorse from U to P. It didn’t exceed 2nd class. People exaggerate.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

rdp32 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:07 pm Thanks all. I'm assuming the Piney side would easier to find a safer spot to stash the bike (just chained to a tree or something)? I've never been there, but I'm guessing it gets less traffic over there?

Although it sounds like East Booth Pass may be too hard for me based on Bill G's comment. I don't mind the "no trail" part (I actually like it), but the Class 3/4 sounds a little harder than what I wanted (for some reason I was thinking that pass would go at Class 2+/3-; not sure where I got that impression from)
You’ll be fine. It’s not 4th class. 2+/3- is accurate.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Jorts wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:54 pm
rdp32 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:07 pm Thanks all. I'm assuming the Piney side would easier to find a safer spot to stash the bike (just chained to a tree or something)? I've never been there, but I'm guessing it gets less traffic over there?

You’ll be fine. It’s not 4th class. 2+/3- is accurate.
Thanks jorts. Maybe I'll go for it after all. If anyone else has any opinions on East Booth Pass (or West Booth Pass, for that matter), please chime in