CDOT re-opens Independence Pass

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: CDOT re-opens Independence Pass

Post by Gandalf69 »

One step at a time I guess
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Just passed a CDOT sign on highway 24 that said it was closed.
cdgibbons
14ers: 57 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cdgibbons »

For what it’s worth, I drove across the pass at approximately 6 PM Friday westbound and 6 PM Saturday eastbound. There were no delays. There were CDOT trucks and sheriffs watching for oversized vehicles on both sides.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Aspen Times said Piktin County sheriffs handed out eight $1125 tickets to commercial violators.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/indepen ... reek-fire/
Gandalf69
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

peter303 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:35 am Aspen Times said Piktin County sheriffs handed out eight $1125 tickets to commercial violators.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/indepen ... reek-fire/

Very nice. Give them tickets for being lazy as well. A long drive sucks, but better than flipping ur rig. And closing pass for everyone else too, lol
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Does anyone have a recent update on how things are going with Indy pass? Open still? Delays??
bmcconahey
14ers: 55  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bmcconahey »

Drove it on Saturday morning to get to the Vail Valley from Marble and it was clear sailing. We had seen a sign alongside the 82 just south of where 133 hits 82 that said it was closed, but it wasn't. Thought we were going to have to head over McClure as Eagle-Thomasville and Cottonwood were both closed. Don't know if people had cleared out but we got lucky.
peter303
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

I am blown away that 2 people could survive that fall in any sort of vehicle let alone a tiny kia!

Another article with a picture of what it rolled down

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... embankment
Gandalf69
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

SkiFree wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:03 am I am blown away that 2 people could survive that fall in any sort of vehicle let alone a tiny kia!

Another article with a picture of what it rolled down

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... embankment
Wow, that's crazy. Those people should buy lottery tickets, and maybe another Kia lol
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Cali girl driving Indy Pass at 11:30 PM. Who knows maybe she lives in the mountains and drives passes all the time. But lots of us in Colorado who drive passes a lot would think twice about going over in the middle of the night. Great they survived so far best wishes to them.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

It's open. 70 is now open in Glenwood Canyon (for now, so long as it doesn't rain too much to cause mud/rock slides), as well as Cottonwood and Crooked Creek Passes here in Eagle County.