Smoke in San Juans?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BrenAuer237
14ers: 45  2  6 
13ers: 22 4
Trip Reports (0)

Smoke in San Juans?

Post by BrenAuer237 »

I'm planning on heading down to the Wilson group tomorrow and hopefully do the traverse on Thursday, but how's the smoke down there? NOAA is predicting a generally southwest wind tomorrow and Thursday, which should hopefully blow the smoke away from the area, but just wanna know first hand before I make the long drive down there.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Smoke in San Juans?

Post by Kiefer »

BrenAuer237 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:08 pm I'm planning on heading down to the Wilson group tomorrow and hopefully do the traverse on Thursday, but how's the smoke down there? NOAA is predicting a generally southwest wind tomorrow and Thursday, which should hopefully blow the smoke away from the area, but just wanna know first hand before I make the long drive down there.
There's no smoke down here to speak of.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Montrose bright and clear tonight, as was the view to the south all day today. Should be good to go.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 322 26 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Here's what OpenSummit is showing for Surface smoke across the state. It seems like avoid the Front Range, Tenmile/Mosquito, and anything in Northern Colorado and you'll be good.
2020-08-12_08-01-22.png
2020-08-12_08-01-22.png (442.69 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Ugh I hate this time of year. Trying to get my runs in and I hate running in wildfire smoke.

Do you runners typically keep at it or take some days off when we have shitty air quality along the Front Range? I took off for my run last night and made it around the corner and just turned around. First time I'd done that in awhile. Usually once my feet hit the pavement I'm going on the run...
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

oldschoolczar wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 am Do you runners typically keep at it or take some days off when we have shitty air quality along the Front Range? I took off for my run last night and made it around the corner and just turned around. First time I'd done that in awhile. Usually once my feet hit the pavement I'm going on the run...
I am not a serious runner but often get out in the morning for a half hour or so neighborhood jog. Probably because of my slow pace and going early in the day (not as hot/uncomfortable) the smoke doesn't bother me too much. If it were bad enough to smell like a giant campfire I would probably stay home.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Tornadoman wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 am
oldschoolczar wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 am Do you runners typically keep at it or take some days off when we have shitty air quality along the Front Range? I took off for my run last night and made it around the corner and just turned around. First time I'd done that in awhile. Usually once my feet hit the pavement I'm going on the run...
I am not a serious runner but often get out in the morning for a half hour or so neighborhood jog. Probably because of my slow pace and going early in the day (not as hot/uncomfortable) the smoke doesn't bother me too much. If it were bad enough to smell like a giant campfire I would probably stay home.
That's smart... I wish I could run in the mornings. Just not a morning person.

I'm not a serious or competitive runner either... just do it to stay in shape for 30-45 mins a few times a week. I could really feel it last night though. We don't have AC, so I breathe it all day and all night long.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

oldschoolczar wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 am Do you runners typically keep at it or take some days off when we have shitty air quality along the Front Range?
Morning. Minimal smoke and 30 degrees cooler.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

I was on the Ice Lake summits today, very minimal smoke. I ccould see Vestal clearly, Lake City area peaks were visible too. It didn't have any effect on visibility nor could I feel smoke in the air while breathing.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

peter303 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:02 pm
oldschoolczar wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 am Do you runners typically keep at it or take some days off when we have shitty air quality along the Front Range?
Morning. Minimal smoke and 30 degrees cooler.
I don’t run if I can smell any smoke or I’ll check the AQI, it stinks but the good thing is I get a lot more work done