Glenwood Canyon Closed - Grizzly Creek Fire

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Glenwood Canyon Closed - Grizzly Creek Fire

Post by Barnold41 »

TravelingMatt wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 am
Barnold41 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 am One of my coworkers lives on the way up to Sylvan Lake and said there were tons of semis trying to go over Crooked Creek Pass the other night... good lord.
Lemme guess, they were Swift trucks
And Amazon :wft:
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Barnold41 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 am
TravelingMatt wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 am
Barnold41 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 am One of my coworkers lives on the way up to Sylvan Lake and said there were tons of semis trying to go over Crooked Creek Pass the other night... good lord.
Lemme guess, they were Swift trucks
And Amazon :wft:
SWIFT = Sure Wish I Finished Training or See What I F'd Today

PRIME = Please Remember I'm Mississippi Educated
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

The fire was up to 25,000 acres and is now the biggest in White River National Forest history.

When I-70 opens will be dependent on rock fall now more than the fire. Rocks are already coming down, there is no vegetation to hold them up anymore. We drove back from Purgatory yesterday via 50. Lots of semis, RVs and other slower vehicles. Mostly need the passing lanes to pass anyone as there is too much head on traffic to be able to pass in the opposite lanes. Montrose to Leadville should be about 3.5 hours, I think it took us about 4.5.

Indy was open yesterday, for now. They have been issuing citations to people who are too long trying to drive. I read that they are metering traffic to keep it from being a non-stop parade of 2-way traffic through the narrow sections. Expect 2hr+ delays, but I guess that is better than the detour :wink:

https://www.postindependent.com/news/fi ... ture-park/
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
ellenmseb
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 41 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ellenmseb »

Zero traffic jams on 82 yesterday either at 4am or 6pm. No metering either. Only light haze on Pyramid. Smooth going.

But this might be because people haven't realized it opened, canceled their plans thinking it would be closed, or are avoiding smoke; so it could be worse next weekend.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

After doing one of the peaks in the Elks last year I was coming back over 82. I was east of the wide vehicle turn around and east of any private residences. Coming up to a curve to the right I saw a full length tractor trailer coming the other direction. The right side of the trailer took out a couple of small Aspen saplings on the shoulder and the front edge of the right steer was off the road. It looked like the scene in Jurassic Park when the Tyrannosaurus Rex burst through the no longer electrified fence.

I have no idea how the driver got that truck up the switchbacks on the Far Eastern side of Independence Pass where the speed limit drops to 10 miles per hour. Full length tractor trailer is well over 60 ft long, more than twice the distance of the maximum length of vehicles allowed there.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Ptglhs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:53 pm
After doing one of the peaks in the Elks last year I was coming back over 82. I was east of the wide vehicle turn around and east of any private residences. Coming up to a curve to the right I saw a full length tractor trailer coming the other direction. The right side of the trailer took out a couple of small Aspen saplings on the shoulder and the front edge of the right steer was off the road. It looked like the scene in Jurassic Park when the Tyrannosaurus Rex burst through the no longer electrified fence.

I have no idea how the driver got that truck up the switchbacks on the Far Eastern side of Independence Pass where the speed limit drops to 10 miles per hour. Full length tractor trailer is well over 60 ft long, more than twice the distance of the maximum length of vehicles allowed there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA