Glenwood Canyon Closed - Grizzly Creek Fire

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Glenwood Canyon Closed - Grizzly Creek Fire

Post by dwoodward13 »

Vincopotamus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:02 pm
LURE wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:27 pm now cameron pass closed

what a summer
It’s apparently near Chambers Lake
https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/ne ... d4d352bd3d
With how dry everything had been for so long, it really felt like we were just biding time before we had a bunch of fires blow up. Hope all the firefighters across the state can stay safe and do what they do best.
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

The new map this morning suggests that the whole of Glenwood Canyon may burn before this thing is done.

EDIT: man... and Hanging Lake burned since yesterday, too.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

I looked up (for fun) how to get from Denver to Aspen yesterday on Google. The answer: Hagerman Pass...it currently is showing to take Hagerman if I want to get west out of Leadville.

Edit: Cottonwood Pass in Eagle is still closed.
Last edited by summitrunner on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcmanusj »

summitrunner wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:16 am It appears Cottonwood Pass between Eagle/Gypsum and Carbondale has reopened???

I looked up (for fun) how to get from Denver to Aspen yesterday on Google. The answer: Hagerman Pass...it currently is showing to take Hagerman if I want to get west out of Leadville.
Did that drive two weeks ago; one very off-camber section followed by miles of bouncing on basketball sized rocks.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

summitrunner wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:16 am It appears Cottonwood Pass between Eagle/Gypsum and Carbondale has reopened???

Where did you see this?

The incident page still has Cottonwood pass listed as closed. The one near Buena Vista is open.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6942/
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

The smoke has come to Dillon...
dillon_fire
dillon_fire
dillon_fire.jpg (143.81 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
summitrunner
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

sheller wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:53 am

Where did you see this?

The incident page still has Cottonwood pass listed as closed. The one near Buena Vista is open.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6942/
My mistake! I'll edit.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

According to the Eagle County Sheriff, Hagerman Pass is also closed.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
summitrunner
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am

That's great news.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

summitrunner wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:24 am
IntrepidXJ wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am

That's great news.

I just looked and Google has routed over Crooked Creek Pass which is also closed per the Sheriff as of sometime yesterday. This weekend could be a mess in that area....

https://www.cpr.org/2020/08/13/even-if- ... ack-roads/
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

One of my coworkers lives on the way up to Sylvan Lake and said there were tons of semis trying to go over Crooked Creek Pass the other night... good lord.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Barnold41 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:34 am One of my coworkers lives on the way up to Sylvan Lake and said there were tons of semis trying to go over Crooked Creek Pass the other night... good lord.
Lemme guess, they were Swift trucks
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake