Grumpy localism

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Power_slave
Trip Reports (0)

Grumpy localism

Post by Power_slave »

Apparently, and probably thanks to social media, Ice Lakes Basin has now become Disneyland of the San Juans. I saw people with flip-flops, Vans slipons, no packs or water of any sort. Trash all over the trail. A dude with a damn drone. Instead of the sound of the wind through the trees and streams rushing, I was treated to someones bluetooth speaker blasting Post Malone. What used to be an incredible experience with relative solitude has turned into a sh*tshow and if it keeps getting worse, a permit system is sure to follow. I understand that once these places go “viral”, there’s nothing to be done to keep people away but man, why this place? This place survives the hardrock mining era relatively unscathed compared to the rest of the Silverton, only to be loved to death by people who only “do it for the Gram” or whatever. Sorry if this is to NIMBY for everyone but this place is getting disrespected
Rant over.
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Grumpy localism

Post by hansolo35 »

Agreed. But it’s happening everywhere out west this summer. I live in Tahoe and while it’s always been a popular spot, it’s much worse this summer. And all the damn people leaving their trash...I just don’t get it. Sad truth
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

It's definitely not just Colorado. I've hiked all over the eastern and western US this summer* and solitude has been rare. The only outings I've had entirely to myself, that is no people from car to car, have been in the remotest parts of Nevada and on a couple of less noteworthy peaks in Montana. Although starting early has usually guaranteed the summit to myself.

The national parks I've been in have turned into a complete shitshow. I'm not sure what enjoyment the average visitor to Yellowstone or Glacier is getting, considering how few of them venture more than a few hundred feet from paved roads.

One of my go-to short hikes in North Carolina, Max Patch, is now basically a recreation of Woodstock on the summit, probably similar to what you encountered at Ice Lake.

I suspect people with money and time have a lot more flexibility and less structure this summer.

Makes me appreciate the 13ers much more, although I haven't done any in Colorado this summer so can't speak to whether they've been getting worse too.

*I guess I'm part of the problem on some level
Last edited by TravelingMatt on Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

TravelingMatt wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:34 pm Makes me appreciate the 13ers much more, although I haven't done any in Colorado this summer so can't speak to whether they've been getting worse too.
It seems like there are a lot more people attempting 13ers in Colorado this summer, so I've been sticking to 12ers and 11ers this year. Summer of 12ers for me! \:D/
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

Crowds suck. That is why I think I'm starting to realize the value of climbing more remote 13ers. Social media has definitely had a pretty massive effect on our public lands and crowds. I did Fletcher a few weeks ago and was very pleased that I had the peak to myself while Quandary was a zoo.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday in Ice Lake Basin and was shocked at how not trampled and not littered it was. I packed into the lower basin on Tuesday morning, set up camp at the last group of pine trees, then hiked US Grant and V4. Did not see a soul after I left the Island Lake and when I returned there were only two people there. I then spent some time at Ice Lake easily finding my own private slice of the shore. On Wednesday I hiked Pilot Knob and Golden Horn, and again I saw no one after I left Ice Lake. When I returned there were fewer people than the day before. The weekends might be different though.

Edit: Also, I have done 33 thirteeners this summer and only shared the summit on one peak.
Grizzly Adams
14ers: 5 
13ers: 208 1 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grizzly Adams »

There have been groups of local volunteers doing their best to keep up with the trash in this area, PLEASE thank them for how not littered it was. They have good reason to be grumpy.

And 13ers suck, they get way fewer likes. I'd stick to 14ers.
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

If ya want solitude then try staying away from such said areas at the most popular times,or try some bushwacking/offtrailing/orienteering from a different angle from where everyone else approaches them from. .... Or winter anyone?
Power_slave
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Power_slave »

I guess it’s not so much the popularity of the area that concerns me, as much as the SUDDEN explosion of popularity which I suppose could make it difficult to manage. Also, the type of people who were on the trail and at the trailhead was concerning as well. In my experience, the people who take hiking 4 miles up to 12,500’ with over 2,000’ of elevation gain with enough seriousness to be appropriately prepared also tend to respect the landscape as well as the trail itself. I took my parents up there as well and they had previously done the hike 5 years ago and they were shocked with the crowds, which should say something considering they’re from Southern California. I guess I’m tired of having to “give up” places I love and constantly retreating to more and more isolated and unknown spots.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Grizzly Adams wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:13 pm There have been groups of local volunteers doing their best to keep up with the trash in this area, PLEASE thank them for how not littered it was. They have good reason to be grumpy.
Done. I spoke at length with a volunteer about what a great job they are doing that their presence is definitely the reason the basin is holding up as well as it is.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

The general public are idiots and they’ve discovered hiking in part due to sites like this and the fb group and instagram promoting them. This scene has played out time and time again and until we rid the scene of social media the problem will only get worse.

Here’s the general plot.

Step 1, This place used to be good on weekends now it’s ruined.
Step 2, I don’t have a problem by going on weekdays.
Step 3, It’s ruined on weekdays now, go to other place that’s good on weekends.
Step 4, go to step 1.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

I went for a hike/climb yesterday in Rocky Mountain NP, one of the busiest parks in the system and had to put up with some trail runner doing Longs from the Flattop trail in the morning and some other individual heading up to catch sunrise on the same trail. Ruined my solitude after 16 hours. The nerve of people using my public lands.