Grumpy localism

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
januse86
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grumpy localism

Post by januse86 »

I read the first page and felt like I was being shamed for wanting to visit that place as a visitor from new england. Then I got to the last page, good lord. Talk about a rabbit hole. Feel like a day spent on youtube where I'm watching hiking related videos and somehow end up watching male ballerinas twirling around with their cocks out in the name of art. Like... how did this happen?

But on a more serious note and back on topic of the ice lakes.... Is there specific areas designated for camping up there? or can I just pitch a tent wherever? Am I supposed to pack out waste or is digging and burying sufficient too?
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

100% pack out your waste or use the toilets at the campground. Only camp in established campsites, do not just camp anywhere. Do not park your car on the tundra, off the road. Pick up any trash you see. Stay on trail. And discourage others who are breaking these rules. The volunteers at the ice lakes tiny home are apparently completely fed up with how horrible the hikers have been this year in that basin.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Please, just make it stop. Seriously, these threads only get to this point because people keep pouring it on. It's not Bill's job to make sure we exercise some self-restraint. How many of these flaming dumpster fires do you honestly think make someone stop and reconsider their beliefs?

ihatethisthread.png
ihatethisthread.png (285.25 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Antagonism is fun.jpg
Antagonism is fun.jpg (67.45 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Make wilderness less accessible.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I don't want to hear your opinion. I want to hear my opinion coming from your mouth.
Above_Treeline
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline »

I changed my opinion on crowds after the author of the Hiking Montana book pointed out that none of the hikes in the book had been lost. And it's frustrating if no one goes to the nice spots and sits on their (often oversized) backside in the house.

But then seeing 4wd going basically down the hiking trail, houses in the middle of nowhere that it seems pretty unlikely they drive to work from there and are unnecessary 2nd homes ( and please tell me they don't complain about bears.....) houses next to streams, and places overrun, it is pretty discouraging. So it seems like you're screwed either way.

That said, I didn't have too much trouble finding solitude in Colorado. Yes I-70 can be a parking lot, but even Sniktau didn't look so crowded that I couldn't have enjoyed it. (Didn't get to try it :( ) There are plenty of places that have solitude if the Republicans don't completely screw up public lands like they try to. (Not that I trust the Democrats 100%) I didn't really mind seeing 20+ people going up one 14er, I talked to a lot of them and had the top to myself on 2 of the 14er (figured out a trick.) 20 people spread out over a few hours isn't bad usually, still usually have it to yourself mostly
I support reintroducing grizzlies and wolves to their historic ranges.
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by hansolo35 »

Above-tree line, your post was pointless drivel and made no sense at all. Please delete before other 14er.com members go brain dead like I just did