Sneffels: Blue lakes TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Sneffels: Blue lakes TH

Post by bigredmachine »

I'm going to be hiking Sneffels with a flatlander friend next Sunday and had a few questions. Either way, we will be doing the SW ridge which I have done before from YBB. I'm trying to figure out if the Blue Lakes approach would be too much for my friend as I see it is 6 miles just to the ridge. My friend did the needle two years ago with me and Pyramid last year, so I'm not concerned with challenges of the southwest ridge, more so the overall effort of the day. For those who have completed this can you help me with:

1. Would you compare this overall hike to Longs as far as effort. Harder, easier...any other comparisons?
2. Would you recommend dropping down from one of the north colours into blaine basin for a loop, or just returning the same way.
3. MOST IMPORTANT...my friend is not much of a backpacker...is there good camping at the trailhead, and if so would getting there at 1PM be too late to grab a spot? If not, is there other camping options along the Dallas divide road in?

Thank you in advance!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Sneffels: Blue lakes TH

Post by Wentzl »

My niece and her boyfriend, both reasonably fit and in their early 30's visited last summer. I thought Blue Lakes would be a nice mellow hike. I was surprised at how wiped out they were. We made the lower Blue Lake, but anything higher was out of the question.

My point being, don't underestimate the effect of altitude on visitors from sea level who don't have a couple days to acclimate.

There are not good options for camping along the highway between Ridgway and Dallas Divide. But there are LOTS of places to camp starting about 3 miles back from the trailhead. Very good odds of finding decent car camping at 1:00 in the afternoon, but some of the options do require some clearance to get there.

I really like going down from the Lavender Col saddle into Blaine Basin to make a loop. Here is the loop in reverse, up Blaine and down the SW Ridge and Blue Lakes:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine

And just for kicks, the way you plan on going:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
gorshkov
14ers: 39 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gorshkov »

I think the blue lakes route is pretty comparable to the keyhole route, maybe a bit easier (effort-wise; it’s a little harder technically). It is a pretty long route with lots of elevation gain, but there’s a really good trail all the way to the ridge- no talus hopping at all iirc. Think Longs without the boulder field.

When I climbed sneffels I descended lavender col but if I were doing it again I would probably go back down the ridge because of all the loose crap in the col. That is going to depend on how comfortable you are on descending exposed class 3 though. Going down the col does mean gaining some elevation back to the pass.

FWIW I think the blue lakes is one of the prettiest 14er routes I’ve done
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I am at the blue lakes trailhead just about every week.
There are at least 4 or 5 good places to camp between mile 8 on oray county road 7 and the trailhead at Mike 9.2.
There are often tents in most of these places by 10 or 11 am when I usually arrive.

It is just under 6 miles and 3,800 vertical feet to blue lakes pass at 13,000 feet from the trailhead.
It is 1 mile and 1,150 vertical feet from the pass to the summit. So round trip is 14 miles and 4,950 vertical feet.
The only time I hiked the sw ridge route it was from the restroom in yankee boy basin. Based on the effort to hike to the pass and back, I think a day trip to the summit and back would be a somewhat long day, but beautiful.

I agree that a loop trip of the sw ridge, then descend the standard route to lavender col, and then the col to blain basin to return to the trailhead would be a wonderful way to go.
I must say that the only time I have come down the col route it had perfect snow conditions and was a delightful way to descend. I have not come down the col route when it was dry.
loomermj13
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by loomermj13 »

ltlFish99 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:45 pm It is 1 mile and 1,150 vertical feet from the pass to the summit.
Just did Blue Lakes to Sneffels on Monday, it’s 1/2 mile from pass to summit. FWIW, I backpacked in to Blue Lakes Sunday, climbed Sneffels Monday, backpacked out Tuesday, and camped in Yankee Boy Basin Tuesday night. This entire stretch of hiking, camping, and driving was the most beautiful place I’d ever been.
Psalm 121:1-2 - I lift my eyes up to the mountains — where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

loomermj13 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:02 pm
ltlFish99 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:45 pm It is 1 mile and 1,150 vertical feet from the pass to the summit.
Just did Blue Lakes to Sneffels on Monday, it’s 1/2 mile from pass to summit. FWIW, I backpacked in to Blue Lakes Sunday, climbed Sneffels Monday, backpacked out Tuesday, and camped in Yankee Boy Basin Tuesday night. This entire stretch of hiking, camping, and driving was the most beautiful place I’d ever been.
I like the enthusiasm for the beauty of the country surrounding Sneffels (my favorite 14er) and am inspired to suggest that the trail from Owl Creek to Coxcomb Pass into Wetterhorn Basin, especially for the next week or so, till the Indian Paintbrush fades. . .

If you are reading this thread about Blue Lakes and want to find somewhere even more stunning and avoid seeing any other people, I am just here to say, you still can have it all.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Harv969
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harv969 »

What's the road to the Blue Lakes trailhead like? I've heard its good to have a 4WD (I have a 2WD Corolla) but that can mean a lot of things. My little 'rolla has made it over a lot of nasty roads that were probably best suited for a 4WD. If it helps, I got to the trailhead for Scarp Ridge near Lake Irwin with no trouble.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

It's mostly graded gravel road with some washboard and decent size potholes. I was there a few weeks ago and there were over 100 vehicles of all types at the trailhead. You'll likely be fine in a passenger car.
Harv969
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harv969 »

Wentzl wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:02 pm
I like the enthusiasm for the beauty of the country surrounding Sneffels (my favorite 14er) and am inspired to suggest that the trail from Owl Creek to Coxcomb Pass into Wetterhorn Basin, especially for the next week or so, till the Indian Paintbrush fades. . .

If you are reading this thread about Blue Lakes and want to find somewhere even more stunning and avoid seeing any other people, I am just here to say, you still can have it all.
Really? I might check that out as a Blue Lakes alternative, which to be honest sounds really crowded. You mean this trail? http://hikingwalking.com/destinations/c ... sin_detail
loomermj13
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by loomermj13 »

Harv969 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:18 pm What's the road to the Blue Lakes trailhead like? I've heard its good to have a 4WD (I have a 2WD Corolla) but that can mean a lot of things. My little 'rolla has made it over a lot of nasty roads that were probably best suited for a 4WD. If it helps, I got to the trailhead for Scarp Ridge near Lake Irwin with no trouble.
Clearance isn’t an issue at all, gravel is just a bit slippery. So 2WD Corolla will be fine. I almost slid out in my Nissan Frontier since I was going too fast, and my friend nearly rolled his Jeep Wrangler, also from going to fast. So probably don’t be doing 40+ down this road and you’ll be just fine.
Psalm 121:1-2 - I lift my eyes up to the mountains — where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Harv969
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harv969 »

Was thinking of finally going on Saturday (not to Sneffels, just the Lakes). Any idea what the conditions are like post-storm?
RJ_Greenhorn24
14ers: 12 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (12)

Post by RJ_Greenhorn24 »

Harv969 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Wentzl wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:02 pm

Really? I might check that out as a Blue Lakes alternative, which to be honest sounds really crowded. You mean this trail? http://hikingwalking.com/destinations/c ... sin_detail
My favorite spot in all of Colorado, but please keep it hushed. That fork of the Cimmarons is too awesome to be over-run by instagrammers. Enjoy! :-$ :-D
"I don't think you fully understand the consequences of your pickle thievery" - Classic summit conversation