Sneffels: Blue lakes TH

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Sneffels: Blue lakes TH

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Harv969 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 pm Was thinking of finally going on Saturday (not to Sneffels, just the Lakes). Any idea what the conditions are like post-storm?
I'm down in telluride, snow begins around 9500ft, above treeline looks pretty deep in places
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Re: Blaine Basin Loop
"Blaine Basin is beautiful in a Mordor kind of way. But it doesn't come close to justifying the misery needed to reach it. And Blue Lakes is of course gorgeous. If you came from Blue Lakes, you should always return that way rather than Blaine Basin. Now, I understand you may not want to downclimb SW ridge if it's wet or if you're just getting started on C3. And standard would require re-climbing to Blue Lakes pass. But, I guarantee that taking standard down, then reclimbing to Blue Lakes pass, will be less effort and more pleasant than Blaine Basin."
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20642
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

Harv969 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 pm Was thinking of finally going on Saturday (not to Sneffels, just the Lakes). Any idea what the conditions are like post-storm?
On the Ouray side snow starts around 8,500-9,000 feet.
RJ_Greenhorn24 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:29 am
Harv969 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Wentzl wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:02 pm

I like the enthusiasm for the beauty of the country surrounding Sneffels (my favorite 14er) and am inspired to suggest that the trail from Owl Creek to Coxcomb Pass into Wetterhorn Basin, especially for the next week or so, till the Indian Paintbrush fades. . .

If you are reading this thread about Blue Lakes and want to find somewhere even more stunning and avoid seeing any other people, I am just here to say, you still can have it all.
Really? I might check that out as a Blue Lakes alternative, which to be honest sounds really crowded. You mean this trail? http://hikingwalking.com/destinations/c ... sin_detail
My favorite spot in all of Colorado, but please keep it hushed. That fork of the Cimmarons is too awesome to be over-run by instagrammers. Enjoy! :-$ :-D
Too late. I was there in August to climb Coxcomb and it was overrun with people.