New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

New Ford Bronco

Post by pvnisher »

What are your thoughts on the new Broncos?
Solid rear axle, independent front, removable doors and roof panels, available 35 inch wheels.
Looks like the product of a Wrangler sneaking under the fence to visit an unspayed Toyota FJ.
Last edited by pvnisher on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by nyker »

Haha. I was thinking similar. Looks pretty cool.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

The FJ cruiser is nothing short of trash - no real 4th door, 3 windshield wipers and small drive train bits. Although, Toyota schtick is way underpowered engines and overbuilt drivetrains, so I doubt they hung the FJ cruiser out there like that. I'm as big of toyota fan boy as any, especially land cruisers. When FJ cruiser drivers try to wave I just hang my nose up in the air as high as I can. Just like the LX460, the FJ is not a real landcruiser.

The bronco does look cool, although I would never buy one. True 4 doors, engines are ok, but ford puts those engines in everything, I get it they're standardizing on it. 10 spd tranny which is already out there, 4L is an option, as well as locking diffs, but I didn't see if the t case is locking? I can't ever make a judgement without driving them. my guess is t case has some sort of limited slip tech....? I thought I wanted a Frontier or Titan and then I got both on back to back work trips and I hated how it felt with windshield angle etc. I also hate sitting in an FJ cruiser (snobbery aside), it just feels cramped to me and the windshield is "small." I can't help but notice how the bronco looks similar.

Rumor is ford is already sold out. I can't figure out who these people are that are out buying new vehicles in this economy and spending probably 40 to 50k to boot?? I know there is a $30k option, but there is also a $70k and I bet more get bought at 70 than at 30. But, that is me guessing and based on what I see driving around town - lower trim levels are usually bought by businesses. Mid and high level are bought by individuals.
Harrison
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Harrison »

Conor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:43 am Rumor is ford is already sold out. I can't figure out who these people are that are out buying new vehicles in this economy and spending probably 40 to 50k to boot?? I know there is a $30k option, but there is also a $70k and I bet more get bought at 70 than at 30. But, that is me guessing and based on what I see driving around town - lower trim levels are usually bought by businesses. Mid and high level are bought by individuals.
Lotta people bought that Wrangler truck, sight-unseen and untested.

Looks like the 'First Edition' Bronco is sold out online. It was limited to 3,500 units.

I'm certainly interested to hear more about the Bronco is the coming years, but as with any new car model, I wouldn't rush out to by the first one.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'm more of a truck guy, so wouldn't buy one, but I like the styling.

I agree their looks are a little reminiscent of Jeep/FJ bastard child, but they did retain some of the OG bronco lines. I'd also be pretty hesitant as an early adopter. I know it was a long time ago, but the Bronco II was such a POS, that new Ford models will need solid vetting.

Overall, 8/10. I'm sure this will add confusion to Texans looking for their first tough "Colorado" starter pack car to drive up the Alpine Visitor Center, especially since stock on the Jeep Gladiator is having a hard time keeping up with demand.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Herbert
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Herbert »

The Bronco's independent front suspension will come at some sacrifice to off-road performance, but will appeal to those looking for more refined daily driving than what Jeep offers with its solid front and rear axles. For now I am happy with my 2015 Jeep. My Fox 2.0 shocks and Continental TerrainContact tires have calmed the ride down quite a bit.
Last edited by Herbert on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Harrison wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:49 am Looks like the 'First Edition' Bronco is sold out online. It was limited to 3,500 units.
Pre-ordering ala Tesla caused their website to lock up from the traffic.
Conor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:43 am The FJ cruiser is nothing short of trash
I have a friend on this site who has a recent version with a lot of hard miles on it who would probably argue with you. I had a '76 and it was the real deal, a tank that would go anywhere with some reasonable driving skillz.
Conor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:43 am I can't figure out who these people are that are out buying new vehicles in this economy
Ford continues to sell F-150s in quantity as well. Their stock has been tanking before this, even with the government funded Wall Street surge. Down to 6 bucks a share. I bought a block of shares today (a small one) because I think they're going to sell a lot of these to a wide range of peeps. Part of it is no doubt easy financing and low interest rates...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Conor
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

So....who are these people spilling cash?? I get people do it, I'm trying to understand who they are. Millennials still expect their mom's to drive them around in their 20's. All boomer's "got the raw end of the deal" and have no money according to themselves, Gen x is just there, but people expand the millennial & boomer tents so Gen x doesn't really exist.

Who are these people rushing out to buy a vehicle sight unseen?

I wouldn't have that many reservations about buying a new "untested" vehicle today (if I could find the gumption to spill the cash). America got over the "don't stop the line under any costs" mentality a long time ago. Not to mention, the engine, t case, tranny, dana 44 diffs etc are all tested and with exception of the dana 44, tested and known reliable as a system.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Conor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:45 am So....who are these people spilling cash?? I get people do it, I'm trying to understand who they are. Millennials still expect their mom's to drive them around in their 20's. All boomer's "got the raw end of the deal" and have no money according to themselves, Gen x is just there, but people expand the millennial & boomer tents so Gen x doesn't really exist.

I wouldn't have that many reservations about buying a new "untested" vehicle today (if I could find the gumption to spill the cash). America got over the "don't stop the line under any costs" mentality a long time ago. Not to mention, the engine, t case, tranny, dana 44 diffs etc are all tested and with exception of the dana 44, tested and known reliable as a system.
Hopefully it’s the same people who think Kelso is a technical climb so your head doesn’t completely explode with a new set of people to be angry at.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Conor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:45 am who are these people spilling cash??

I can't speak to the national group, but locally construction never really slowed much. It's full speed ahead and we're short tradespeople due to a booming (for now) construction economy. I'm assuming those workers are one subset. Then, anyone in the wealthy bracket is still profiting from the government infusion of cash into the economy and stock market. That's another subset.

Then there's the mindless that think this is all going away soon and want to capitalize on the cheap money that's available and don't know to worry about how they'll pay it back when things get worse in the fall when we all move back inside to close quarters. This with 100+ dead yesterday in FL, TX, and AZ.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

LetsGoMets wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:51 am
Conor wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:45 am So....who are these people spilling cash?? I get people do it, I'm trying to understand who they are. Millennials still expect their mom's to drive them around in their 20's. All boomer's "got the raw end of the deal" and have no money according to themselves, Gen x is just there, but people expand the millennial & boomer tents so Gen x doesn't really exist.

Hopefully it’s the same people who think Kelso is a technical climb so your head doesn’t completely explode with a new set of people to be angry at.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Conor
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

LetsGoMets wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:51 am

Genuinely curious. When i asked about that, what did i say suggested i was angry or mad? Or that my head was going to explode? I think this is the second time youve brought this up in unrelated threads. Which, i know you're just trying to get a rise out of me, but i can promise I'm not angry, just trying to understand if I'm off base or not and understand other people's perspectives. So, if I'm showing rage in that or this thread, i apologize. Sure, i have an opinion on most things, but i also repect other people's opinions and I'm curious what they are.