Do you marmot proof your car?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Do you marmot proof your car?

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

stoopdude wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 am The whole saga made me realize how catastrophic it could be if one of these animals chewed thru the wrong wire while you're parked at American Basin or something.

So yeah I strongly recommend marmot-proofing, especially from a cost-benefit analysis. Could really ruin your week.
Yeah that's exactly what's going through my mind right now. I might try a custom tarp set up or coyote urine depending on the trailhead and elevation going forward and it seems those two methods are the most approved of. If anything I'd like to have the peace of mind as I'm hiking/backpacking. I'm thinking a little prevention could go a long way.
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I've never had a problem and don't "personally" know anyone who has. That said, it would suck to get back to my vehicle and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree.

Someone on this site once suggested the draw may be road salt or leaking fluids...especially coolant. Wash your car including the underside after the last of the snows. Maybe it helps. Maybe not. Dunno for sure. In the meantime I guess I should give this some more thought for future treks.

If garden type deterrents are any use, I also suggest trying a bar of Dial soap. Just plain ol soap. Wrap it in a thin sock or net and hang it from the underside of the vehicle. I used this tried and true method to keep deer out of my garden in the past and had no problems. The beauty of the method is it'll last through multiple rains if needed. And probably gets more effective if wet. This beats the coyote pee, cayenne, and various other water soluble concoctions. I'd rather not wrap chicken wire or a tarp around my vehicle. Oof. What a pain. And that won't work if I'm sleeping in my vehicle at night.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
The spindoctor
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The spindoctor »

I sprayed my pop-up camper with a mixture of water and peppermint oil when I had it parked in the back corner of my yard for a year or so. No definitive way of knowing if that kept the mice away, but it does sound more appealing than fox urine which did absolutely nothing to deter the little tree rats (squirrels) in my garden.

I read something about how some hoses and insulation use a soy based ingredient which they may be attracted to.
-Justin
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

For those going the coyote urine route, please check that you are getting it from an ethically sourced company. I've heard of some really awful kennels and living situations that some companies keep the animals in, particularly overseas companies. Best to go the peppermint or cayenne pepper route.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

I used to think the folks who used fencing were stupid...until I had my car attacked and damaged twice in 2016.

The first time was more minor, but had a Marmot get between the skid plates on my Jeep and chew up the evap hoses. I was fine driving home from the San Juans (This was near Animas Folks for a 13er) but the repairs to fix the evap system so I could pass emissions again was $300ish.

The second time was much worse. Stupid bugger crawled up and got his head between the skid plates again and this time chewed up most the wires going from the car into the gas tank for the pump and fuel guage. Thankfully I caught him crawling out as I got back to the car at Hermit Pass in the Sangres and knew to look. Sure enough, wires were all chewed apart. Took the better part of an hour, but I was able to twist the right wires back together and then electrical tape each wire and use clothes pins to keep the wires in a bundle and secured for the drive home. Once home I properly re-wired everything, but that could have been bad. Being up near the top of Hermit Pass is NOT a place you want to break down. I can't even imagine the tow bill.

So now I carry a black plastic snow-fence and some bungees that I use to protect my vehicle if I am above 11K. It's worked quite well, no issues since 2016. Easy to deploy, doesn't harm the environment (Moth balls) and make your car smell like s**t (Moth balls/Coyote Urine) and isn't a big deal to bring with me. Seems stupid, but if you do this sport enough...it'll happen.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

RyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:42 pm make your car smell like s**t (Moth balls/Coyote Urine)
I use one of these for pantyhosed moth balls and/or coyote urine granular, and I haven't had an issue yet. I put the jar in a bag and placed in an area in vehicle that won't allow it to bounce around and potentially smash.
I've used tuperware containers with saran wrap and ziplocs before too without a smelly problem.
sealed jar.jpg
sealed jar.jpg (58.24 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

A reference on how they collect the pee

https://www.predatorpeestore.com/How-Do ... -Pee-.html
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Is this a seasonal thing, e.g. post-hibernation May/June thing? I ask because I've been going up into the mountains for decades and never had a single marmot/car problem (although I've had a few marmot/pack problems). But I also haven't typically gone up this time of the year lately, I've done all the couloirs of interest, I'm more a September-alpine guy.

-Tom
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

was sleeping in the subaru at redcloud trailhead the other night.... woke up to the sound of some sort of rattling under the vehicle at 2:00am... made a racket opening the door and getting out of the car to find a fat bastard scurrying off into the dark. sadly, i don't have your clothespin-it-together skills, Ryan.... and i wish i did....
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

Since it seems like the critters attacking vehicles are after road salt, has anyone tried tossing small salt chunks nearby to give them something other than vehicle hoses and wires to chew on? Or does that sound like inviting even more trouble? And all my experiences with critter attacks happened in September.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Iguru wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:38 pm Since it seems like the critters attacking vehicles are after road salt, has anyone tried tossing small salt chunks nearby to give them something other than vehicle hoses and wires to chew on? Or does that sound like inviting even more trouble? And all my experiences with critter attacks happened in September.
That would invite them more than anything. But if you park on the other side of the TH from me...go ahead. :-)
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

leave no trace

..but salt is fine.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis