No reservation required at RMNP if you arrive before 6am

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: No reservation required at RMNP if you arrive before 6am

Post by cougar »

I've heard rangers and volunteers are now staffing the formerly free boundary trailheads like Lumpy Ridge and Twin Sisters, checking or selling park passes and checking reservations (you have to print out a reservation with barcode they scan). Haven't heard about Longs.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

cougar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:51 am I've heard rangers and volunteers are now staffing the formerly free boundary trailheads like Lumpy Ridge and Twin Sisters, checking or selling park passes and checking reservations (you have to print out a reservation with barcode they scan). Haven't heard about Longs.
If they're selling annual passes, great! The waiting period to order one online is in weeks.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I ordered a NPS pass from REI on Monday & it is suppose to arrive 6/9, so about 8 days.
mtalll
14ers: 8 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtalll »

I ordered an annual pass through the RMNP website link (it goes to pay.gov) and they emailed me the pass number in a couple days in order to make the online reservation. I don't know when the physical pass will arrive.
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

I got to the upper Twin Sisters trailhead today before 6, but on my way out, I didn't see anyone checking for reservations.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I hiked beyond Chasm Lake junction Friday. No sign of any officials at the trailhead. Shack and campround closed. Parking lot mostly full. 25% trenched snow fields at treeline. Nice wildflowers.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

mtalll wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:16 pm I ordered an annual pass through the RMNP website link (it goes to pay.gov) and they emailed me the pass number in a couple days in order to make the online reservation. I don't know when the physical pass will arrive.
Wish I'd done this, I ordered an America the Beautiful pass through the USGS site. I received an order confirmation but no response to an inquiry about pass number so I can make reservations.
Make wilderness less accessible.
freoncarrot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by freoncarrot »

If I'm planning on arriving tomorrow (a Monday) a little before 6 AM is it likely I'll find a parking spot at Longs? Hoping to determine whether I'll need to ride my motorcycle up or if I can get by with a car at that time. Thanks in advance!
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

freoncarrot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:00 pm If I'm planning on arriving tomorrow (a Monday) a little before 6 AM is it likely I'll find a parking spot at Longs? Hoping to determine whether I'll need to ride my motorcycle up or if I can get by with a car at that time. Thanks in advance!
Zero chance.
freoncarrot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by freoncarrot »

HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01 pm
freoncarrot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:00 pm If I'm planning on arriving tomorrow (a Monday) a little before 6 AM is it likely I'll find a parking spot at Longs? Hoping to determine whether I'll need to ride my motorcycle up or if I can get by with a car at that time. Thanks in advance!
Zero chance.
Thank you! Motorcycle it is then.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

freoncarrot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:03 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01 pm
Zero chance.
Thank you! Motorcycle it is then.
As a heads-up, you might have trouble even then. That parking lot gets jam-packed in a hurry during summer months.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Good bike rack near the outhouses. No need to worry about a parking place. :bicep: