No reservation required at RMNP if you arrive before 6am

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
freoncarrot
Trip Reports (0)

Re: No reservation required at RMNP if you arrive before 6am

Post by freoncarrot »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm
freoncarrot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:03 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01 pm
Zero chance.
Thank you! Motorcycle it is then.
As a heads-up, you might have trouble even then. That parking lot gets jam-packed in a hurry during summer months.
Appreciate it! Do you (or does anyone else) happen to know what the final word is re: parking down the road from the TH this year? And since my initial post was ambiguous, if parking on the road is permissible is a car spot likely at just before 6?
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

freoncarrot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:19 pm Do you (or does anyone else) happen to know what the final word is re: parking down the road from the TH this year? And since my initial post was ambiguous, if parking on the road is permissible is a car spot likely at just before 6?
The park boundary is just before the last hairpin bend. Below there you're still allowed to park on the road, just as in previous years. Last weekend I didn't have any trouble finding a spot at 5:30am on Saturday. 6am on a Monday should be fine.

Strictly speaking, even if it's after 6am you might not need a reservation if you park outside the boundary and enter on foot. RMNP's web site says that a timed entry permit is required to enter in a private vehicle between the hours of 6 am and 5 pm.
Annotation 2020-06-28 133913.png
Annotation 2020-06-28 133913.png (131.56 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
Last edited by martinleroux on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

freoncarrot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:00 pm If I'm planning on arriving tomorrow (a Monday) a little before 6 AM is it likely I'll find a parking spot at Longs? Hoping to determine whether I'll need to ride my motorcycle up or if I can get by with a car at that time. Thanks in advance!
Zero chance.
I have been up there 4 times since the park reopened & had no issue getting a spot in the lot, including 5:30am on a Sunday and 6:45am last Thurs. if you can’t park in the lot just go a bit down the road. No biggie.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

pbakwin wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:57 pm
freoncarrot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:00 pm If I'm planning on arriving tomorrow (a Monday) a little before 6 AM is it likely I'll find a parking spot at Longs? Hoping to determine whether I'll need to ride my motorcycle up or if I can get by with a car at that time. Thanks in advance!
Zero chance.
I have been up there 4 times since the park reopened & had no issue getting a spot in the lot, including 5:30am on a Sunday and 6:45am last Thurs. if you can’t park in the lot just go a bit down the road. No biggie.
Well damn. I thought we were getting back to normal, guess traffic is still down. Maybe a lot of the out-of-staters have canceled vacations this year. I was going off historical 4th of July week traffic. I stand corrected, listen to these last couple of folks. EDIT - I guess the crowds don't really pick up until the NPS declares it non-technical, any snow still in trough?
Last edited by HikerGuy on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

HikerGuy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:04 pm Well damn. I thought we were getting back to normal, guess traffic is still down. Maybe a lot of the out-of-staters have canceled vacations this year. I was going off historical 4th of July week traffic.
Haven’t been up to RMNP lately, but let’s just say I was not envious of traffic going EB on I-70 all the way back to Glenwood Springs. Matter of fact, there were points at which I was not envious of WB traffic, though at least we weren’t stuck as many places nor as long.

In other words, to project all over the situation, I’d say this is probably not going to be a great week to visit the most popular National Park in Colorado if you’re looking to dodge crowds.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I was in two parks with reservation systems this June- RMNP and Maroon Bells. Annoying to have more paperwork, but the crowds are smaller. I think some is due to far fewer international visitors, particularly from China.
freoncarrot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by freoncarrot »

Thanks so much for the information, everyone! I've decided not to go today but definitely am going to sometime soon.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

Hooray! Restrictions over starting tomorrow. I presume entrance passes is just the usual entry fee or some sort of season pass. From the RMNP website.

Reservations are currently available through October 12. Timed entry permits are not required beginning on October 13. Entrance passes are still required.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

pw wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:49 am Hooray! Restrictions over starting tomorrow. I presume entrance passes is just the usual entry fee or some sort of season pass. From the RMNP website.

Reservations are currently available through October 12. Timed entry permits are not required beginning on October 13. Entrance passes are still required.
Note there is overnight construction & closure on the section of the main road after the turnoff to Bear Creek through October.

Trail Ridge closed for season