Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brucedg
14ers: List not added

Re: Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Post by Brucedg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 am

I'd say Land Rover Range Rover!
nickm
14ers:summits30 
13ers:summits124 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by nickm » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:44 am

I have a 2010 Chevy Suburban 2500. The 2500 has engine/transmission coolers, rear locking diff, load range e tires, better clearance than the 1500. I have towed for thousands of miles with it. Driven some crazy 4wd roads with no problem! If you come head to head with a speeding OHV no worry about who is going to win! lol Took the rear seats out almost immediately, so it hauls 5. I flip the middle bench up and put an air mattress in the back, very comfortable at trailheads. Obviously you would have heat, there is a 12v plug at the rear, plenty of storage. The disadvantage is that it has a long wheel base, once you learn to drive its not a problem. The 2500 suspension in a little tight so it can be a bit jarring at times but it will get you there. Known to be a dependable high milage vehicle.
Dislike the new body style.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (398.35 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
CaptainSuburbia
14ers:summits58 winter32 
13ers:summits98 winter18 
Trip Reports (32)

Post by CaptainSuburbia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Ram 1500 is best!
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits45 winter1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 pm

The new wilderness edition outback is actually kinda mean looking! (Not a Subaru owner or fan either)

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39982/202 ... ough-wagon

“ Sitting nearly an entire inch higher than the regular Outback, the Wilderness boasts 9.5 inches of ground clearance and features upgraded shocks with longer suspension travel that's been tuned to excel on loose surfaces. New 17-inch matte black wheels are wrapped up in Yokohama Geolandar all-terrain tires. X-Mode consists of Snow/Dirt and Deep Snow/Mud driving modes as well as a new roll-angle indicator.”

“ Under the hood sits a 2.4-liter, turbocharged boxer engine making 260 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque. It's hooked up to a CVT with an increased final drive ratio for more low-end wheel torque. This being a Subaru, symmetrical all-wheel drive is on board as is the company's EyeSight ADAS. Towing capacity comes in at 3,500 pounds while the ladder-type roof rack can support up to 700 pounds.”

For you owners that have the turbo, what kind of MPG are you getting?
stephakett wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:35 am
ker0uac wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:12 am
I think there are two ways of looking at the vehicle: which one has the best specs (e.g., more torque or HP, crawl ratio etc), and which one has higher quality components and engineering and more dependability? In other words, which one can I drive 200k miles without any unscheduled maintenance?

The F150 can tow twice as much as Tacoma - does that make F150 a better truck?

I am definitely not the type who can rebuild engines or gut the whole car and make mechanical modifications, so maybe that's why quality and dependability are more important for me.
no because the F-150 overheats when towing uphill for extended periods of time. the tacoma does not.
Not in my experience
Attachments
ECE056FF-EC5C-4F40-9461-BCE954317738.jpeg
ECE056FF-EC5C-4F40-9461-BCE954317738.jpeg (297.56 KiB) Viewed 611 times
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Agstrohmeier
14ers:summits12 
13ers:summits18 

Post by Agstrohmeier » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:23 pm

Anyone looking at the rivian vehicles? Been holding out on replacing my 4runner until I can go electric... This is looking like the first contender. They're installing chargers in all co state parks which is pretty cool. Not sure I can stomach the price, but if you take off incentives and believe the gas/maintenance savings estimates it's competitive with new trucks (although still doesn't help the monthly payment).
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter14 
13ers:summits45 winter1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm

Agstrohmeier wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:23 pm
Anyone looking at the rivian vehicles? Been holding out on replacing my 4runner until I can go electric... This is looking like the first contender. They're installing chargers in all co state parks which is pretty cool. Not sure I can stomach the price, but if you take off incentives and believe the gas/maintenance savings estimates it's competitive with new trucks (although still doesn't help the monthly payment).
I’m curious as to the battery life, replacement of a quad battery system, and regular maintenance issues i.e tire rotations etc. I know my old store manager was too lazy to order lift pucks for Tesla’s, so he would turn down all customers, pretty lame. He was also not mechanically inclined whatsoever haha, they look very nice though.
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Agstrohmeier
14ers:summits12 
13ers:summits18 

Post by Agstrohmeier » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:30 pm

CaptCO wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm
Agstrohmeier wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:23 pm
I’m curious as to the battery life, replacement of a quad battery system, and regular maintenance issues i.e tire rotations etc. I know my old store manager was too lazy to order lift pucks for Tesla’s, so he would turn down all customers, pretty lame. He was also not mechanically inclined whatsoever haha
Yeah, still waiting on final EPA estimates but their current claim is 300 and 400 mile models. we are thinking the 400 only because if you factor in uphill, cold weather... might lose a lot more than expected. Where to get them serviced is one of my biggest outstanding concerns... They just released the warranty info which looks pretty good assuming you can get it performed somewhere.
Jay521
14ers:summits42 winter10 
13ers:summits153 winter25 
Trip Reports (51)

Post by Jay521 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:32 pm

JephgonnaSteph wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:55 pm
Toyota fj cruiser... Can pretty much get you to any trailheads in CO
Yeah - I have to agree. My '07 FJ has 230K miles on it now and the only maintenance I've done has been the standard stuff - tires, brakes and a battery. No unscheduled maintenance of any kind and has gotten me to every TH I've wanted to get to. I can't imagine a better vehicle for getting to what I want to get to. The only thing I really hate about it is that Toyota stopped making them.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
susanjoypaul
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits87 winter6 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Still holding out for the new Bronco. My dealership's only getting 200 this year, and even with a second-day reservation (I made the reservation within 15 minutes of the system opening but my original dealership held onto it for 24 hours before putting it into the system), I may not make it into that allocation. It's a good thing I'm patient.
Been_Jammin
14ers:summits42 ski1 winter1 

Post by Been_Jammin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 pm

Jay521 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:32 pm
JephgonnaSteph wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:55 pm
Toyota fj cruiser... Can pretty much get you to any trailheads in CO
Yeah - I have to agree. My '07 FJ has 230K miles on it now and the only maintenance I've done has been the standard stuff - tires, brakes and a battery. No unscheduled maintenance of any kind and has gotten me to every TH I've wanted to get to. I can't imagine a better vehicle for getting to what I want to get to. The only thing I really hate about it is that Toyota stopped making them.
Saw an article recently where Toyota called dibs on the model name "TrailHunter." Industry speculators think they might be coming out with a new FJ type rig to compete against Wrangler and Bronco. Could be cool!

https://carbuzz.com/news/new-toyota-tra ... p-wrangler
Jay521
14ers:summits42 winter10 
13ers:summits153 winter25 
Trip Reports (51)

Post by Jay521 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:17 pm

Been_Jammin wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:51 pm
Saw an article recently where Toyota called dibs on the model name "TrailHunter." Industry speculators think they might be coming out with a new FJ type rig to compete against Wrangler and Bronco. Could be cool!

https://carbuzz.com/news/new-toyota-tra ... p-wrangler
Wow - I do so hope that speculation is correct... Thanks for this!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
+Gravy
14ers: List not added
13ers:summits1 

Post by +Gravy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Last edited by +Gravy on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.