Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Post by Conor »

I will never understand why the new 4runners have that stupid gas tank hanging down so low.

While we're on chic vehicles, what is the 4 runner's '2H'? No locking hubs, so it just locks the tcase and disengages front, but driveline is still turning right?
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Conor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:59 am I will never understand why the new 4runners have that stupid gas tank hanging down so low.

While we're on chic vehicles, what is the 4 runner's '2H'? No locking hubs, so it just locks the tcase and disengages front, but driveline is still turning right?
i think on any other vehicle if you looked at the automatic shifter control knob it would say nothing other than "D" for what toyota is calling 2H
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

Conor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:59 am I will never understand why the new 4runners have that stupid gas tank hanging down so low.

Depends on the trim level. Some of them (the older Limiteds maybe?) have a full time 4wd system with a center locking diff in the tcase. Most come with a true 2H. They use a system called the ADD system (automatic differential disconnect) in the front end to keep the front driveline from turning. The system essentially does the same thing as locking/unlocking the hubs, but disconnects at the front axle inside the passenger side axle tube instead of at the hub.
Generalcuz
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Generalcuz »

I have a 2014 TRD Offroad Tacoma. It's been pretty much with me from my first to last 14er. The locker paid dividends four times. (Umcompahgre, Castle Conundrum upper TH, Sangre peaks, etc) I have about 70k on the truck at this point. Could probably have made it without the locker, but it's a nice feature. I have kept the truck stock and have been very happy with the fuel mileage and reliability. Will probably just replace it with a TRD sport someday. Simple and easy. I was a big Jeep guy for the first 15 years or so, and would love a nice CJ5 or CJ6 someday. Either way, the Taco took care of everything and tied it up with a bow. The only 14er upper TH I didn't make, was Little Bear. We just parked below the first major feature and walked the rest. Was easy and not a big deal. After all, isn't that why we hike any way to tag these peaks.

There are so many good vehicles out there lately. I have a friend casually tagging peaks with a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. He takes his time weaving between larger stuff, but otherwise is having a blast and keeping it within budget. All within your skill and comfort level.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

I am going to blow up the whole thread by declaring, on paper at least, that the 2021 Bronco is going to blow all these away. It's off-the-lot available options and capabilities are jaw dropping.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
LURE
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

its_not_a_tuba wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:47 am I am going to blow up the whole thread by declaring, on paper at least, that the 2021 Bronco is going to blow all these away. It's off-the-lot available options and capabilities are jaw dropping.
i wont necessarily dispute this

my problem right now with this vehicle and ford in general that they make one vehicle, and the create a matrix of about 600 versions with different pricing when you look at all the trim levels and package options

obnoxious as s**t. figuring out how to do pricing comparisons between a bronco that's similarly equipped as any TRD PRO, or Offroad, or my Titan PRO, is not that simple. it makes me stop looking at them when i know there are so many very capable, cheaper, and simpler vehicles in the world

ford needs to stop this. you can buy like 1000 different versions of a 2015 F150
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Has anyone looked at Tesla Cybertruck yet? Up to 16" ground clearance...
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Reg0928 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:25 am

Depends on the trim level. Some of them (the older Limiteds maybe?) have a full time 4wd system with a center locking diff in the tcase. Most come with a true 2H. They use a system called the ADD system (automatic differential disconnect) in the front end to keep the front driveline from turning. The system essentially does the same thing as locking/unlocking the hubs, but disconnects at the front axle inside the passenger side axle tube instead of at the hub.
Gotcha and thanks, so the axles and diff are turning but not the drive shaft.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

its_not_a_tuba wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:47 am I am going to blow up the whole thread by declaring, on paper at least, that the 2021 Bronco is going to blow all these away. It's off-the-lot available options and capabilities are jaw dropping.
The only thing wrong with the Bronco is that it's made by Ford. Aside from that, it's the best stock offroad rig I have ever seen.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Reg0928
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

Conor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Reg0928 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:25 am

Gotcha and thanks, so the axles and diff are turning but not the drive shaft.
Yep, the axles turn, and the spider gears in the front diff turn due to the driver's side CV still being connected to the diff. Only the spiders in the front diff rotate, though, not the entire ring and pinion. Disconnecting the passenger axle allows the ring and pinion (and thus driveshaft) to remain stationary in the front end while the spiders rotate.
Shaller13
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaller13 »

3rd owner of a stock 2000 Jeep Cherokee nearing 300K. It does extremely well on trails and I can sleep in the back fine.

If you're someone who isn't mechanically inclined, wants a newer vehicle, not going to beat up your vehicle off-roading a lot/dealing with a lot of rocks and/or does a lot of long distance traveling then perhaps a Toyota or Subaru will do you best.

If not then a older Jeep like mine is perfect. I can't speak for the newer Jeeps but old Jeeps with the 4.0 engine are amazing. These Jeeps can last a long time if taken care of and do your regular maintenance when you are suppose to.

Old Jeeps can do anything whether or not fan boys of other brands say otherwise. Keep in mind yes each vehicle has their issues but for someone to say Jeeps are s**t when my old Jeep is still going strong with the original engine, is either lying to themselves or they did not take car of their Jeep(s).
"He who says he can and he who says he can't. Are both usually right.'
"The key is to not go up the keyhole route."
GO BIG RED
RichH
14ers: 43 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RichH »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:33 pm
The only thing wrong with the Bronco is that it's made by Ford. Aside from that, it's the best stock offroad rig I have ever seen.
I don't know much about the new Bronco and don't own a Ford (I own a Toyota) but I'm not sure Ford deserves to be bashed - they make and sell an awful lot of good trucks.
Rich