Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Post by mtree »

Stock Jeeps may be boring to some, but what stock vehicle isn't?
Regardless, that's not what the OP was asking. I just hope she can sift through all the jibberish and get some useful info.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I was looking into used 4Runners and the different models...comparing the TRD Off Road model vs. TRD Pro, there is generally a $10k difference between the two, not insignificant.

From what I can see, the TRD Pro has a few things (over the TRD Off Road) including:
- Different grill
- Front skidplate
- Black rims (same size as Offroad model)
- "Fox" shocks/springs
- TRD badging
- leather or pseudo leather trimmed seats
- different roofrack for some models
(not including labor the above parts seem to add up to less than $10k, with labor probably gets there if you go that route..)

With the exception of the shocks/springs or skidplate none of the items would seem to make a huge difference from the regular Off Road model in terms of operation/capabilities.
For the 4Runner experts out there is there anything else on the TRD Pro that makes it stand out and warrant the extra $10k over the TRD Off Road? Am I missing something?
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

mtree wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:47 pm Stock Jeeps may be boring to some, but what stock vehicle isn't?
A stock Land Cruiser.
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

nyker wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am I was looking into used 4Runners and the different models...comparing the TRD Off Road model vs. TRD Pro, there is generally a $10k difference between the two, not insignificant.

From what I can see, the TRD Pro has a few things (over the TRD Off Road) including:
- Different grill
- Front skidplate
- Black rims (same size as Offroad model)
- "Fox" shocks/springs
- TRD badging
- leather or pseudo leather trimmed seats
- different roofrack for some models
(not including labor the above parts seem to add up to less than $10k, with labor probably gets there if you go that route..)

With the exception of the shocks/springs or skidplate none of the items would seem to make a huge difference from the regular Off Road model in terms of operation/capabilities.
For the 4Runner experts out there is there anything else on the TRD Pro that makes it stand out and warrant the extra $10k over the TRD Off Road? Am I missing something?
The Fox suspension is probably a $2k add-on (though definitely not the best for the cost) and probably the best feature. The wheels are pretty sharp too and expensive even on Craigslist. If you dont want to pay the extra costs for cosmetics and interior features do your own suspension upgrade. Get some King Shocks and you can feel superior to all the Pros.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

The most important difference is that the Pro has auto on/off headlights
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

nyker wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am With the exception of the shocks/springs or skidplate none of the items would seem to make a huge difference from the regular Off Road model in terms of operation/capabilities.
The rear locking diff is the biggest difference with the TRD PRO.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
Dayute
14ers: 56  1 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dayute »

climbingcue wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:47 am
nyker wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am With the exception of the shocks/springs or skidplate none of the items would seem to make a huge difference from the regular Off Road model in terms of operation/capabilities.
The rear locking diff is the biggest difference with the TRD PRO.
Trdor also comes with a locking rear so not an upgrade.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yes, though I thought the locking rear diff is standard on both the TRD Off Road and the TRD Pro?
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

nyker wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:39 am Yes, though I thought the locking rear diff is standard on both the TRD Off Road and the TRD Pro?

i believe so. at least for sure for 2020 models

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.46 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

pretty sure it's the tundra that lures you into thinking its TRD offroad is well equipped and then pulls the rug out from under ya as you drive off the lot

tundras are such a waste of a truck
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

The rear diff is standard on both. Skidplate also standard on both, but the Pro has a cooler looking one. They both have crawl control as well. Besides the shocks/springs already mentioned, Pro tires are A/T and OR are M/S. There are lots of other non-mechanical differences too, but most of those you can add on aftermarket - sunroof is one you can't, along with that awesome green army color.

The Pro in green looks sick but I personally never found it worth the additional $10k - also the Pro is usually excluded from any factory specials.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

LURE wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:00 am i believe so. at least for sure for 2020 models

pretty sure it's the tundra that lures you into thinking its TRD offroad is well equipped and then pulls the rug out from under ya as you drive off the lot

You are right, but you are comparing OR to ORP as opposed to Pro.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:06 am
LURE wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:00 am i believe so. at least for sure for 2020 models

You are right, but you are comparing OR to ORP as opposed to Pro.
i feel like the question was really, "is a locking diff standard on TRD offroad?"

cause nobody is uncertain that the TRD pro has it, right? at least i hope not