Nellie Creek

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jaymi
14ers: 48 
Trip Reports (0)

Nellie Creek

Post by Jaymi »

Does anyone have any recent beta on the upper Nellie Creek TH? If the weather is stable would like to to do Uncompahgre next weekend. Thanks!
cnlevan
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Nellie Creek

Post by cnlevan »

I don't know if this is recent enough, but I climbed it in August and you definitely need a 4WD to get to the top. There are two large stream crossings also. Sorry if this doesn't help. Good luck!
Put yourself in the way of beauty. - Cheryl Strayed
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

You need way more than a 4wd to get to the top. Legit clearance for that first hurdle. Unless there's a way around it?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Thanks for the feedback! I went for it and my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk handled it just fine, though slowly. Worst of it was the first 0.1 mile. Beautiful hike. Successful summit. Spotty snow starting around 12,700 but no traction needed for the entire trip. :)
jschmidt
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jschmidt »

Has it gotten worse since 2013? My last time there was in a stock Wrangler and I don't remember any major clearance hurdles that a stock 4WD couldn't handle.

The thing that sticks out in my mind the most was the cooperative maneuvering I had to do to get around a 3/4 ton truck that was on his way down when I was headed up. I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I often perceive oversized vehicles on 4WD roads with the same disdain as a vehicle without adequate clearance or capability. Makes it way more difficult and dangerous for everyone else to get around the extra 20" of width and 100" of length. (Ford super duty long bed crew cab vs 4 door Jeep)
Joe
Jaymi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jaymi »

Not sure how it compares to 2013, but I think a stock 4WD is fine. My Grand Cherokee is stock and did fine. Streams were shallow too. Just a larger rock bump in the beginning as compared to the rest of the trail. I agree on the cooperative maneuvering. I was happy I didn't have to share the road in spots.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Made it to the top with my Subaru Outback two summers ago. The water crossings were not too bad at the time.
lkk8815
14ers: 54  26 
13ers: 238 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lkk8815 »

Could anyone tell me if Nellie Creek is ever physically closed for the winter (as in the road is blocked/gated/etc), or is it more of a no one plows it situation? Thinking about doing Uncompahgre sometime towards the end of the month.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

lkk8815 wrote:Could anyone tell me if Nellie Creek is ever physically closed for the winter (as in the road is blocked/gated/etc), or is it more of a no one plows it situation? Thinking about doing Uncompahgre sometime towards the end of the month.
It is always "closed" in winter due to snow but you can legally skin/walk/snowshoe/snowmobile up the road. Just watch out for avalanche areas once we get some real snow. The Nellie Creek TH page provides winter information and reports on when it opens in the Spring:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... hparm=sj01
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
lkk8815
14ers: 54  26 
13ers: 238 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lkk8815 »

Thanks. Just didn't want to drive down there to find an unexpected locked gate closing the road off like Evans.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

figured I’d just reply to an old thread instead of starting a new one… does anyone have their drive time and vehicle for the upper section of nellie creek road? trying to figure out when to leave to catch the sunrise.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
Paul M
14ers: 16 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Paul M »

Rented a Jeep Wrangler back in August 2020. With its high clearance and the 4LO setting, it was fine to drive up the road and across the stream crossings with no scrapes. As others have said, the most serious spot is early on, immediately past the first stream crossing. If you get through it, you're fine. But I would NOT try it in a vehicle with less clearance than the one I had, even if it has 4WD.