Nellie Creek

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Nellie Creek

Post by daway8 »

In 2018 I took my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk up there.

I have a note saying I picked up a hitchhiker a little before the start of the road up to Nellie Creek at 2:34pm. By 3:34pm I was "setup and crashing in tent" at the trailhead.

I seem to recall taking a slightly aggressive pace driving up the road as a storm was moving in such that my hitchhiker was a little wide eyed by the time I let him off...
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

jdorje wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:31 pm You need way more than a 4wd to get to the top. Legit clearance for that first hurdle. Unless there's a way around it?
You say that and I agree but....
We had a large 4wd w clearance and drove squeamishly to the 4wd trailhead. Some tricky parts to it.
After we arrive, a few minutes later this stock clearance small pickup rolls into camp and two young girls get out.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Flatlander0
14ers: 32 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flatlander0 »

I drove to the trailhead last Thursday (7/22) in an Xterra (Off-Road model). The lower part of the road was fine. Whatever used to be the problem there appears to have been fixed. After the 2nd creek crossing there's a tricky spot at a sharp turn in the road but manageable in 4LO.
The spindoctor
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The spindoctor »

Here is the full trail (3 videos) going DOWN from last year. I'd add a little time going up for sure. I put the date, vehicle, creek crossing times, etc in the description. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/9RIRCDZXVTE
-Justin
Zedekias
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zedekias »

Has anyone successfully made this in a stock toyota sequoia/tundra?

I have a Sequoia with some good all terrain tires. Think I'd be OK? I believe stock ground clearance is 9.6". And it raises up an inch with the air suspension. So i think it would be 10.6". More than enough right?
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew Russell »

Zedekias wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:56 pm Has anyone successfully made this in a stock toyota sequoia/tundra?

I have a Sequoia with some good all terrain tires. Think I'd be OK? I believe stock ground clearance is 9.6". And it raises up an inch with the air suspension. So i think it would be 10.6". More than enough right?
Clearance wise, you are fine. Anything over 9" you should be able to avoid scraping
@andysoutdooradventures
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Zedekias wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:56 pm Has anyone successfully made this in a stock toyota sequoia/tundra?

I drove the Nellie Creek road in August 2019 in a stock 4th generation 4Runner and had no problems at all. I can’t imagine you’d have trouble with a Sequoia.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

Did it a couple weeks ago in a stock first gen Tundra with eLSD. No problems except for a couple sharp switchbacks that took a K turn. Between the two creek crossings there was an ENTIRE exhaust system from something that was clearance challenged…
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
Zedekias
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Zedekias »

Thanks guys!
ultimategully
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultimategully »

My stock Tacoma made it up no problem a couple weeks ago.