Backpacking Kannah Creek near Grand Junction

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JWood303
Trip Reports (0)

Backpacking Kannah Creek near Grand Junction

Post by JWood303 »

Has anyone been up to the Grand Mesa area? I am going backpacking there next week and just curious if anyone had information on the 21 mile loop. I also am a bit nervous about the Bears in the area. Any pointers?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Backpacking Kannah Creek near Grand Junction

Post by Scott P »

Don't be afraid of bears, but make sure to secure you food. You are very lucky and fortunate if you see a bear.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Not sure, but probably still alot of snow up there.
beachrya
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by beachrya »

No first hand evidence, but there are a couple SNOTEL sites up there that indicate 2-4' around 10k'.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap/ind ... onthPart=E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
damselNOTindistress
14ers: 21 
13ers: 137 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by damselNOTindistress »

Grand Mesa tends to hold snow for quite awhile relative to its elevation. I drove through there last week and there was definitely over 2' of snow in a lot of places.