4 mile creek road:horsehoe pk

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cmcquade
14ers: 6  6 
13ers: 10 8 4
Trip Reports (17)

4 mile creek road:horsehoe pk

Post by cmcquade »

Hello,

has anyone been up 4 mile creek road lately since the april storms? How far up can one make it?

c
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 4 mile creek road:horsehoe pk

Post by aholle88 »

The road closure has been about ~1 mile from the Leavick mine all winter. They keep it plowed consistently up to that point. Even in a Subaru, I was up there after a 6-8" storm and was able to drive through the new snow on the road since it was plowed before. The only issue is wind drifted snow across some spots in the road.

Boudoir did not look completely filled in the last time I was passing through there. Looked like there was a choke at the top that did not have coverage. That may have changed by now, but it was also 50 degrees at 10k the past 2 days. If you live close, head down there with some binoculars and check it out from Fairplay beforehand to make sure its in.
mattdecoste
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mattdecoste »

Does anyone know what date they typically open the road after the winter closure to allow access up to the Summer TH at the gate at 12,000 ft? I am planning to hike Sherman on June 3 and wondering if I should plan on a longer hike.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I drove up the road last Wednesday, May 4, in an Acura RDX and did NOT make it to supposed "winter" closure. The road had definitely not been plowed since the last snowstorm. The road was usually bare in the wheel tracks, but had 6-10 inches of snow between the tracks. Whoever had driven up there had higher clearance than me, because I started scraping snow with my undercarriage. At that point I turned around, which was non-trivial in the slushy conditions. I had hoped to climb Sheridan, but instead went to Mosquito Gulch to head towards Mosquito Peak. The temperatures were warm and the snow was melting fast, so I'm guessing that the road is in better shape now.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^wineguy, I went up the next day (5th) and most of that snow was gone. I had no problem getting to the winter "closure" but it was a bit muddy due to the rapid melt.

I'm guessing the road is clear to that point now.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

^^ Wineguy or Bill - were you able to see if Boudoir was in?
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

To me, it looked like the choke at the top had enough snow and was continuous, even though it was narrow. I didn't take any pictures, sorry.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jay521
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Thanks, Bill!
mattdecoste
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mattdecoste »

Thanks for the info Wine Guy. So if I understand correctly they don't physically block off the road during winter with a gate, rather, they just don't plow the road so it's "proceed at your own risk"?
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

It's clear to 11,000' as of Sunday, past that it's "proceed on foot or with a snowmobile or otherwise bury your jeep with California plates up to the axles."

Boudoir is in.

"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

mattdecoste wrote:Thanks for the info Wine Guy. So if I understand correctly they don't physically block off the road during winter with a gate, rather, they just don't plow the road so it's "proceed at your own risk"?
Correct, no gate.
Jay521
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Bean wrote:Boudoir is in.
Thanks, Bean! I guess I know where I'm heading this weekend!
Last edited by Jay521 on Tue May 10, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.