Cinnamon Pass Road

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eph 2 5
14ers: 43 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (3)

Cinnamon Pass Road

Post by Eph 2 5 »

How difficult will it be for me to drive my Subaru Forester from Silverton to the top of Cinnamon Pass? I've looked at some previous threads and couldn't find the info. I was looking for. I'm making plans for this upcoming summer and want to hike Wood Mountain and Cinnamon Mountain from Cinnamon Pass. I drove from Lake City to Silverton over Cinnamon Pass 6 years ago in a Suzuki Grand Vitara and scraped the bottom once on the east side of the pass. My memory of the west side of the pass is that it wasn't as difficult as the east side. However, I'm guessing that the road is more rutted now than it was 6 years ago based on my drive to American Basin last year from Lake City (it seemed more difficult than 6 years ago). My backup plan is to park at Grouse Gulch and walk 3 miles up to the pass on the road. I'd rather not do this, though, since I may have limited time. Thanks a lot for your help.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Cinnamon Pass Road

Post by Matt Lemke »

One thing I can tell you, when the Cinnamon Pass road is open, it is possible to drive a Subaru Forester over the pass. I have a friend who did it in a Forester.
His car didn't escape without its fair share of damages though.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
LetsGoHigher
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LetsGoHigher »

A Forester has pretty good clearance, which will be the most important thing. As long as you take it slow and choose your spots carefully, you should be fine. Plan on it taking lots of time, but it will be a beautiful ride!
Is that the summit?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I bet you could make it to the American Basin from Lake City in a Forester without much difficulty. But I'd be reluctant to take it over the pass from Silverton. The road gets a lot worse as it near the summit of the pass on both sides. You wouldn't want to get stuck / broke down up there because towing would be frighteningly expensive.
Where ever you are... There you are.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

I made it with a 2WD Jeep Liberty a few years ago...
Manky
14ers: 57  21  4 
13ers: 38 8 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Manky »

Cruiser wrote:I bet you could make it to the American Basin from Lake City in a Forester without much difficulty. But I'd be reluctant to take it over the pass from Silverton. The road gets a lot worse as it near the summit of the pass on both sides. You wouldn't want to get stuck / broke down up there because towing would be frighteningly expensive.
My thoughts exactly. It's not worth tearing up your car, have fun.
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

I would highly advice against this especially right now. I took my Mitsubishi Outlander (small SUV) with higher clearance than a subaru and I regreted it big time. I tried this in late September at the fall gathering thinking it might cut off some time to get to Mt. Sneffels #-o #-o . . . . it sure as hell didnt. The road took forever because of all the technical sections and I definitly bottomed out hard a couple times. Luckily I had no major damage but I would never take my vehicle up this road again. A jeep or big truck would be fine but a small suv or especially a subaru I would highly advice against.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Prairie Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Dog »

For what it's worth - about five or six years ago (in July), I drove my stock 2000 Chevy S-10 4WD from Ouray to American Basin (summited Handies) then continued on to Lake City. I did not bottom out and suffered no damage to the vehicle. I'm not advocating that anyone try this and it should be noted that the road conditions could have changed drastically since then.

Chris
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

The road to Cinnamon Pass from the west is not as bad as the approach from Lake City, particularly the upper sections. I've been on that road several times, most recently the Summer of 2010. They were grading portions of the road near Cinnamon Pass on the west side. My guess is a careful driver in your car can make it without too much trouble. If you get in a pickle, there are plenty of places to turn around.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

I drove Cinnamon Pass in 1997 in a stock Ford Explorer with no issues. When we went over it again about 10 years later the west side was horrible. Luckily we were in a Toyota Tacoma so there was clearance. Otherwise we would have been backtracking. It was like driving in a river bed. I keep hearing that they grade it. I'd suggest checking for 4x4 trail reports online closer to your drive and seeing if there is a recent one. I don't know who does "upkeep" on the road where you could get info. The county maybe?

Thread from a few years ago.
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13667
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by Mel McKinney » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 pm
... I'd suggest checking for 4x4 trail reports online closer to your drive and seeing if there is a recent one. I don't know who does "upkeep" on the road where you could get info. The county maybe?
http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (listed alphabetically)
http://www.bogley.com/forum/forumdispla ... f-Road-4X4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (at the bottom, you can sort by conditions)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

Presto wrote: http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (listed alphabetically)
http://www.bogley.com/forum/forumdispla ... f-Road-4X4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (at the bottom, you can sort by conditions)
Nice. I could only find older reports. I like http://www.traildamage.com but sometimes there's nothing recent for a trip report.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")