Permits Required for Maroon-Snowmass Camping in 2023

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Permits Required for Maroon-Snowmass Camping in 2023

Post by dwoodward13 »

Just out from the USFS. Permits will be required for backcountry camping for the 2023 season for Crater Lake, Snowmass Lake, Capitol Lake, Geneva Lake, the 4 Pass Loop and a few other places (although those are the most relevant to 14er hikers).

Permits will start on May 1, 2023 and be available on recreation.gov starting Feb 15th in a staggered release schedule. You will need a permit May 1-October 31. They will be $10 per person, per night + $6 fee.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whiteriv ... PRD1063931
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Permits Required for Maroon-Snowmass Camping in 2023

Post by eskermo »

"Public Lands", lol!

Thanks for keeping us updated on the Californication of Colorado.
dwoodward13 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:29 pm Just out from the USFS. Permits will be required for backcountry camping for the 2023 season for Crater Lake, Snowmass Lake, Capitol Lake, Geneva Lake, the 4 Pass Loop and a few other places (although those are the most relevant to 14er hikers).

Permits will start on May 1, 2023 and be available on recreation.gov starting Feb 15th in a staggered release schedule. You will need a permit May 1-October 31. They will be $10 per person, per night + $6 fee.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whiteriv ... PRD1063931
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

The permit system is a detriment to Colorado. I prefer unrestricted usage, no restoration efforts, and as much human s**t along the trails as possible.

/s
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 327 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

\begin{vent}
It's already a PITA to get a parking pass for Maroon Lake, and it seems that the parking is completely independent from the new 2023 reservation requirements for camping, so two separate reservations will have to be independently obtained. If parking is only available on even days and camping is only available on odd days, then folks wishing to overnight in the area will be out of luck or have to find some other way of managing logistics. Thus, the logistics of something like the "Four Pass Loop" have just become even more challenging and expensive. Ughhh, I knew I should've gotten that Four-Pass Loop hike done this year.
\end{vent}
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:26 pm \begin{vent}
It's already a PITA to get a parking pass for Maroon Lake, and it seems that the parking is completely independent from the new 2023 reservation requirements for camping, so two separate reservations will have to be independently obtained. If parking is only available on even days and camping is only available on odd days, then folks wishing to overnight in the area will be out of luck or have to find some other way of managing logistics. Thus, the logistics of something like the "Four Pass Loop" have just become even more challenging and expensive. Ughhh, I knew I should've gotten that Four-Pass Loop hike done this year.
\end{vent}
You can now say you've done the "six pass loop" though, so you have that going for you...
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

You can start the Four Pass Loop just as easily from Schofield Pass.
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 327 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

HikerGuy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:37 pm You can start the Four Pass Loop just as easily from Schofield Pass.
Awesome! Time to start researching my new options, as I'm not too familiar with that area. I've got a Toyota Corolla, so I hope that won't be a problem :-) But yes, I'll look into what options are available, and I'm willing to hike a few extra miles if I have to -- thanks!
acorredor60
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acorredor60 »

Some of these places have been a little crowded this summer. What I don’t like is people who abuse the system and buy like 20 passes/permits but only end up using one.
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak200 »

100 percent for all of it
Needs to be managed with more rangers
The more people you have the more degradation
, trash and stupidity
Don't go there if you don't like it
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

eskermo wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:52 pm Thanks for keeping us updated on the Californication of Colorado.
It's as unfortunate as it is inevitable. It hasn't yet progressed to Whitney Zone style day use permits and roving rangers checking them, but give it a few years. Those of us who don't like it just have to move further to the periphery. I basically don't touch Whitney or the dozen or so peaks blocked by the over-large Zone, and am happy to leave the Aspen area to those who enjoy Mountain Disneyland.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (114)

Post by supranihilest »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:45 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:37 pm You can start the Four Pass Loop just as easily from Schofield Pass.
Awesome! Time to start researching my new options, as I'm not too familiar with that area. I've got a Toyota Corolla, so I hope that won't be a problem :-) But yes, I'll look into what options are available, and I'm willing to hike a few extra miles if I have to -- thanks!
I drove my Civic over Schofield Pass to the East Fork trailhead. This is the trailhead that serves as the western terminus for the trail over West Maroon Pass. It's an easy 2WD dirt road. Enjoy!
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak200 »

Everyone makes a big fuss over 10 dollars
Ridiculous who cares about 10 dollars
People spend hundreds to get to the trailhead
And they won't spend 10 dollars to help keep
The whole reason they are going better