Maroon Bells Parking Question (Seeking Parking Pass)

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells Parking Question (Seeking Parking Pass)

Post by Candace66 »

Until I saw this thread, I didn't know about the parking reservations. Looks like you'd have to make the reservation many months in advance if you want an all-day pass during the summer. To say the least, no way to predict that far ahead if the weather would be suitable simply to visit the lakes, let alone climb any of the peaks. Perhaps people are covering themselves by making multiple reservations during the season? Does the system allow that?

I was interested in going up there simply to climb Buckskin Benchmark. But I was assuming the old rule was still in effect, and I simply needed to drive up early in the morning. Yet another thing off my to-do list for this season due to some sort of access restriction.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Candace, this system has been in place for several years and is not going away. Sometimes we have to make plans to go to heavily used areas, or find other places that aren't as crowded.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

Does anyone know if the Maroon Bells TH bus has a bike rack? That way someone can take the bus up, leave their bike at the TH, then bike back down to the parking garage.
sawyervillers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sawyervillers »

Buckie06 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:40 am Does anyone know if the Maroon Bells TH bus has a bike rack? That way someone can take the bus up, leave their bike at the TH, then bike back down to the parking garage.
comments earlier in this thread say there are bike racks at the TH
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

sawyervillers wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:08 am
Buckie06 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:40 am Does anyone know if the Maroon Bells TH bus has a bike rack? That way someone can take the bus up, leave their bike at the TH, then bike back down to the parking garage.
I'm asking if there are bike racks ON the bus
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Buckie06 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:25 am
Aspen- Sporis Ranger District 620 Main Street, Carbondale, CO 81623 (970) 963-2266 Maroon Bells Hotline: (970) 945-3319
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

If we had self-driving cars, we could just get a ride up to the top of the road and then have the car park itself somewhere in Aspen and then come back and get us once we were done. Granted, there probably still won't be cell reception at the TH up there even after self-driving cars are widely in use.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

If you can fold it up and put it in your lap- otherwise no
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Just stop with all these good ideas that would solve legitimate problems with crowds and scheduled would ya.
B_2
14ers: 57  1  3 
13ers: 305 17 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B_2 »

Candace, when I was there a few weeks ago (had a parking pass) I noticed many tourists riding rental e-bikes up to the TH. I thought that was appealing. Ride someone else's e-bike while expending little effort before the climb...lol
Sleep?! Sleep when you're dead...
Update: I wrote that in 2008. Now I really love sleep - like, a lot.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Looked to be a guided bike outfitter up there with a shuttle and racks of bikes to take people up and let them ride down. FWIW - the parking passes appear very easy to forge or just print out duplicates, just a page you print out.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

cougar wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:27 am Looked to be a guided bike outfitter up there with a shuttle and racks of bikes to take people up and let them ride down. FWIW - the parking passes appear very easy to forge or just print out duplicates, just a page you print out.
This is illegal?