San Juans Dispersed Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
some 14ers
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

San Juans Dispersed Camping

Post by some 14ers »

TLDR; Does anyone have any suggestions they know about for dispersed car camping in the San Juans.
Hey 14ers!

I'm going to be doing a camping trip (dispersed car camping) in the San Juans in the Ouray/Telluride area early/mid September. I haven't thoroughly explored the forest service roads in the area like I have more areas in the front range, and my normal sources (friends, dyrt.com) for dispersed sites haven't really been coming through for this so I'm hoping there are some good ideas some of you all might be willing to share. Ideally looking for roads with spots running off of 550 or 62, but spots people along passes like Cinnamon or Engineer passes, and other options are great too!
FWIW We'll be driving an f150, so I have 4w4 and decent clearance. Won't be able to handle true jeep roads but even then those aren't too common.

Thank you all in advance! (especially since I know some people like to keep the sites they find a secret!)
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: San Juans Dispersed Camping

Post by Wentzl »

I found this place totally by accident some years ago, not sure of current status, but was easy and amazingly nice. It is north on 550 from Molas pass and south from Silverton.

Off of 550 there is an unmarked dirt road that goes to the west just below Grand Turk. If you look at googlemaps, you will zoom in and find a place called Alladin's Lamp Ski Hut. Don't turn there. It is the next dirt track to the north. Easy access. Lot's of "established" sites with campfire rings. Not a true campsite, no facilities at all, but looked well used and I really liked it.

Here is a screen shot from Googlemaps showing where I am talking about. Not sure if this will work, but here is my attempt:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7675479 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Only times I've camped in that area were on trips to the Wilson Group. If you follow directions on this site to the Rock of Ages trailhead, there are several campsites along the road (not especially convenient to a major highway). My favorite was in a meadow on a hill maybe 50 yards off the main road. Sorry that I can't give more specific directions, but it was probably 1-2 miles short of the trailhead. If you keep looking to the west (right) as you drive towards the trailhead, a clearing should be visible through the trees on a hill that rises above the road.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

There are multiple established camp sites along the road to the Kilpacker Basin trailhead, and even a few at the trailhead itself.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Last Dollar Road is a 4WD road that connects Telluride to Ridgway.
From Telluride: Take CO 145 west approximately 5 miles and turn right on Last Dollar Road. You will pass the Telluride airport on your right when the road is still paved.
From Ridgway: Take Highway 62 west until you see a sign for Last Dollar Road. Turn left off of the highway and continue left when you hit a fork in the road (a right turn will take you to the town of Sawpit).
There are a few dispersed campsites just past where LDR leaves CO 145 west and at the other end where LDR leaves Hwy 62 west.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

It’s been years, and I don’t know if it counts as dispersed, but quite a bit of camping spots on lizard head pass, your only a few hundred yards off the hw, but the area is gorgeous and free. Maybe 15 minutes to Telluride.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

bigredmachine wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:18 pm It’s been years, and I don’t know if it counts as dispersed, but quite a bit of camping spots on lizard head pass, your only a few hundred yards off the hw, but the area is gorgeous and free. Maybe 15 minutes to Telluride.
This is a good area near Telluride. Also north of there closer to Telluride is the road to Alta ghost town and Alta Lakes. Decent spots off that road, it's got trails connecting to the ski resort. There's also some lakeside spots near the pass and highway but those are very popular.

Just north of Ouray I saw an area off 550, close to the highway and across the river. Ended up splitting a site at a campground near YBB instead since it was pretty cheap.

FreeRoam and iOverlander apps are good for finding spots.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
some 14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by some 14ers »

Wentzl wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:49 pm Off of 550 there is an unmarked dirt road that goes to the west just below Grand Turk. If you look at googlemaps, you will zoom in and find a place called Alladin's Lamp Ski Hut. Don't turn there. It is the next dirt track to the north. Easy access. Lot's of "established" sites with campfire rings. Not a true campsite, no facilities at all, but looked well used and I really liked it.
That's awesome! Thanks for the g-map. Is it the road that goes past the ski hut that I see on the map??
some 14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by some 14ers »

wineguy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:57 pm Sorry that I can't give more specific directions, but it was probably 1-2 miles short of the trailhead.
No problem, thank you! And that sounds like my directions for the town I grew up in!
some 14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by some 14ers »

Gene913 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:47 pm There are multiple established camp sites along the road to the Kilpacker Basin trailhead, and even a few at the trailhead itself.
Thank you! This is awesome to know!!
some 14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by some 14ers »

cougar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 pm
FreeRoam and iOverlander apps are good for finding spots.
Awesome, I haven't heard of those apps yet. Checking out now
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

cougar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 pm FreeRoam and iOverlander apps are good for finding spots.
also a big fan of Campin
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis